Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This is the life  (Read 2973 times)

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
This is the life
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:49 pm »
I am sat here looking at my garden and vegetable garden and to the right is my chicken run, who I think have now taken themselves off to bed for the night so I will go and lock them in for the night.

My husband Stuart is at work till about 11.45pm tonight and I need to be up at 5.30am tomorrow to be at work for 7am.  I am a Breakfast Chef at the weekends and a waitress in the week.  I only work when we have guests, basically so does everyone.  It is soooooooo relaxed there, I am only part time.  I have an interview tomorrow afternoon for another part time job, just 2 afternoons a week helping in the kitchen at a local residential home for our senior peers.  It only pays minimum wage, but am I bothered, it will help towards paying the bills.  I used to have very stressed jobs working as senior office managers and a PA for while.  I had enough of that and learnt to drive a bus, and enjoyed that to a small degree but I always thought it wasn't me.  I was attacked one night  and my bus was ambushed by a gang of youths with fireworks and I was injured, but more so scared out of my wits.  After a few months off work to recover we decided to move to Scotland, we were going to move here eventually and take semi early retirement, the accident just brought it forward a wee while.
From living in a very densly populated Lancashire town to now living here, over looking the Cairngorms and my garden, and watching the deer in the bottom field which belongs to my neighbour, and the calves and lambs in
the spring, the exhorbitant electric bills and fuel costs etc bother me but not that much because I think living here in this enviroment and doing what we all on site are doing, growing veg and raising livestock of one discription or another, all makes up for everything in life and that there is more to life than sitting in a busy stressed office doing something that we really don't want to do.  Making the change to come up here changed our lives completely and doing what we are doing.  It is hard work keeping the garden maintained etc and growing the vegetables but it is pleasureable hard work.  I would not move down South again especially to Kent where the rest of my family are.
Does anyone else feel like me and have made that change and feels better for it???
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: This is the life
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:43 pm »
I'm in a very fortunate position of being in a job I really enjoy, with the lifestyle that I love. Sometimes balancing the two, with family demands especially if Dan is working away, can be a bit hectic, but I'm getting better at it and we have family and friends happy to help out. I do know how lucky I am and I count my blessings every day.

I'm glad you're so happy; that made me happy, too.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: This is the life
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
My job is doing what you love. looking after the smallholding, big greenhouse for the wet days 3 acre garden for the sunny days, strawberries, raspberries, grapes from the vine. 10 weeks of lambing and watching the ducklings play in the yard nad i get paid for the privilage ;D
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS