Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bald Spot  (Read 2230 times)

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Bald Spot
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:02 pm »
Hello
I was checking my girls this afternoon and found that one has developed a small bald spot down to the skin of about 2in square where the raddle on the tups chest has lifted the wool off above her rear end. This is her coming round for the second cycle.
Any tips on what to do? Just concerned at the low temperature/rain/snow doing her some harm, I’m in southern Aberdeenshire and we’ve been getting some fairly low temp so far.
Should it grow back at this time of year? Was thinking about putting something like Vaseline on it. She’s a black welsh mountain and i think she’ll be 5 in the spring. They have a shelter to go into if it’s wet, but they don’t normally bother.
Thanks.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Bald Spot
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:27:13 pm »
If possible pictures would help not just of the bare patch but the whole sheep ?   A small bare patch won't bother her too much , but wool does not fall out for no reason at this time of year

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:23 pm »
Thanks, I’ll try to get a picture in daylight, but it’ll be a couple of days as I’m away at work in the day time at this time of year. It wasn’t particularly noticable today as the surrounding fleece had spread to cover it up.
It looked like the tup was just going back to her again and again yesterday.

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
Hello
I called my vet and asked for some advice. She said not to do anything, the wool will grow back by itself, and a small patch missing won’t do any harm. It now looks like the tup has been round the others for a second time, another two have had this happen. Seems like the tup has not been successful, so he’s getting replaced tomorrow. Couldn’t get any pictures to load as they are too large, sorry.
Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS