Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mud, mud and more mud!  (Read 1840 times)

hayleyedwardsuk

• Joined Dec 2017
Mud, mud and more mud!
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:09:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I’ve been keeping GOS for nearly a year now and as it has been raining for about 4 months the mud in their paddock is now almost knee deep! The pigs seem fairly happy but I’m worried it’s not good to keep them in such conditions? Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the mud under control or is it OK for them and I just accept that is how it will be in the winter months?

Thanks very much.

Hayley

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Mud, mud and more mud!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
The first pigs  kept, Berkshires, were in much the same state as yours and for pity's sake I put them, with an ark in a top, sloping paddock.Of course they wrecked it but I got a good farming friend to roll and harrow it and reseed and it was as good as new. I dare say other folk can offer other ideas.
Welcome to the friendliest of forums!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

There isn't much you can do to keep the mud under control with the wet time we have been having.

Putting old bedding in the doorway will help to clean them off before they go into their ark and spoil their bedding. Road plannings in gateways help keep those areas harder making it easier for you to get in and out. As devonlady says rolling and reseeding in the Spring. Do you have somewhere to move them too?

What are your plans for them long term? Once paddocks get that bad they will need rest at some point to recover.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:36:45 pm »
 :wave: hi Hayley and welcome to the forum.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:07:46 pm »
If you can buy some large rounds of straw, they should cost £10- 15 make a mat rolling out in the driest part. They will eat some of it. Add a small bale of straw before it gets really muddy and keep adding to it. I would also put their trough or feed on there.
  You could make them a shelter out of pallets tied together with tarpaulin over the top.
 I have used the straw mat for ponies, it gives them somewhere to get out of the mud and dry their feet out. In spring you just harrow it or rake up the worst and burn it.

hayleyedwardsuk

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »
Thank you so much for all your advice. I have put a lot of straw in which has helped with feeding time and I’ve made a ramp out of stones and old bedding at the entrance to their arks which has helped keep the mud out of there as they go in and out as well. I’m looking forward to a good frost!

Definitely going to build a hard standing area for the next winter though and rotate round the paddock to rest the land. I’ve nearly fallen in several times!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS