Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bleeding Nose  (Read 1567 times)

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
Bleeding Nose
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:27:13 am »
Hi, I'd be grateful for any advice. Three days ago we thought out nanny had caught her left nostril on the handle of the feeding bucket. There was profuse bleeding and it took quite a while to settle. We tried to pack it to no avail but it stopped of its own accord. She was otherwise well when the vet checked her over. Yesterday we noticed she is snuffly, as if she had a blocked nose, and today she has some discharge and bleeding from her RIGHT ! nostril, not the one which we thought had been injured. Otherwise she is eating and drinking fine and doesn't seem unwell. Any ideas what is going on ?

Cheers

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bleeding Nose
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:53:39 am »
No idea, but IMO definitely one for the vets. (Human) kids sometimes go through a phase of nosebleeds for no reason, but there are some conditions like von Willebrand's (genetic) that are causing irregular noosebleeds and it has been diagnosed in dogs.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
Re: Bleeding Nose
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:33:43 pm »
Thanks Scarlet.Dragon.

I can't see any evidence of nasal bots but I did consider this and brought forward her Combinex schedule. Just in case of infection (after injury or inhalation) we gave her LA amoxicillin as well though the vet thought he chest was clear. The most likely thing is indeed injury (blood was fresh red) as there was a stick beside her bucket which may have entered her nostril. Waiting to see, though she does appear well enough in herself and it eating and drinking OK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS