Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram gone down fast. Need help please.  (Read 2778 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Ram gone down fast. Need help please.
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:14:47 am »
We separated our 2 lambs from the flock and all has been well so far.  They are on a paddock which has little grass now so they get a daily additional feed of hay and to PotNoodle pots of sheep/cattle mix.

Over the last couple of days one of the rams has lost a lot of weight (he is skin and bones now) and is completely off his food.

He isn't shaking, shivering or anything: in fact, if it wasn't for the fact that he just stands about or lays down all the time, and is thin you wouldn't know there was anything wrong.

I have given him 2ml of Duphapen Strep but I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Foot note: this is the ram (and only lamb) I got off the hand tame ewes that I had problems with in spring and summer this year: suddenly going backwards fast, probably staggers the first time, I don't know what her problem was in the summer.  I'd say, apart from her being the leader of the flock she doesn't have the strongest constitution: never seems to be as well filled out as the rest.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Ram gone down fast. Need help please.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:11 am »
Has it been vaccinated? And wormed? and fluked?

If it's already lost weight (and that will have been a gradual thing that you just haven't noticed), then I would suggest get it to the vet.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
When was he wormed and how long have sheep been on the pasture?
Don't know about sheep/cattle mix? Always read that cattle mix not suitable for sheep?
What are his droppings like?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:12:03 pm »
VET before he dies ,without seeing the lamb it could be anything but internal parasites would be no1 guess

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:13:42 pm »
I agree that as he's 'going down fast' you need to consult your vet quickly.  There's no point messing about thinking 'well it could be this or it could be that', then still not knowing what to do about it, if you just end up with a dead sheep.  As this seems to be part of an ongoing problem amongst your flock, then it requires proper investigation asap
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
Agree with others- ring the vet ! Why come to a forum for urgent advice when the vet is a phone call away. Never heard of sheep/cattle mix unless it's specifically formulated without copper. Could be anything but I would have been on the phone to the vet first is last rather than second guessing and throwing antibiotics around.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:42:42 pm »
Does he look as if he is having trouble passing urine, and is his body hunched? If so it could be this especially as they have had concentrated feed.
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/urinary_calculi_in_sheep_and_goats
However still speak to the vet.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:49:48 pm »
Don't know about sheep/cattle mix? Always read that cattle mix not suitable for sheep?

Sheep/cattle mix will be like HJ Lea Oakes Allrounder http://www.hjlea.com/sheep-feed

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »
VET asap.  Could be one of or a combination of many things.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:44:13 pm »

I would have thought fluke is the most likely - there is now some resistance to Triclabendazole about, so even if he was fasinexed in the autumn you may still have a problem. Have you checked his gums/eye lids - normal colour or very pale?

But as others said - vet would be the first to call if you are not sure.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »
Jon’s up in my old neck of the woods, so I assume is feeding Jim Peet’s or Tarff Valley’s “all stock” mixes, which are 15-16% protein and are safe for sheep, including male sheep.  They don’t contain copper.

However, a whole Pot Noodle pot per day per sheep is a quite a lot of hard feed for a Shetland lamb, isn’t it?  I think I might halve that.  I wonder if too much hard feed might make a sheep not eat enough hay to keep his digestion working properly? 

Now they’re on hay and hard feed, they will need fresh water available.  I’ve found that, unlike cattle, sheep can be quite picky about their water, and won’t drink unless it’s fresh and clean.  So if it’s a bucket, it might need to be scrubbed out every few days, and the water replaced every day.

I hope you have talked with the vet by now, Jon, and have a way forward. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 02:58:36 pm »
Echo the others, if he's gone downhill fast and isn't eating then its a vet job asap.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS