Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making mountains out of molehills  (Read 16954 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: making mountains out of molehills
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »
They would probably take the chicks - I certainly don't trust them with ours.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:30 pm »
We had a mole problem; my father and sister tried to catch them with traps and couldn't.  So my mother bought a trap (sadly one that kills the mole), set it in the run and put an earth worm in front and behind it.  It caught the mole within hours and was very effective.  It was sad to have to resort to that, but we didn't want to use chemicals, and our Labrador doesn't have the patience of most terriers.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »
Well,

I can certainly see where the need for a little light relief in the form of a jasper carrot dvd comes in! My lawn is coverd in holes ( a number made by the moles...the majority made by us when setting the traps!) We havent caught anything in 3 days though the traps are being sprung. We have a very light sandy soil here so worms are not easy to come by unless you do some serious digging, which means bating the trap will be tricky. I know some of you have suggested calling in the experts but I think this will be an on going issue so I feel I need to master the art of mole charming or it will cost me a fortune in pest control.

Will set somemore traps this eve ....wish me luck!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »
Hi Buffy.  Apparently you need to make sure the traps have no human smell on them, so they must be dirty and you need to wear old rubber gloves, also preferably smeared with soil, when handling them and the turf you lift.
Our worms would just wriggle away if we used them as bait  ;D

Waiting to hear if you are successful.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:27 pm »
Good Luck Buffy  :)
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »
Hi Piggy - You mention geese, and I have some this year for the first time. 

How do the geese get rid of moles - I am interested to put mine on mole duties

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:37 pm »
Hi

Not sure what it is but only thing i can think of is that its the movement of the geese that deturs them,we have 6 on there and still so far so good no more moles,hurray

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 03:58:24 pm »
Hi All,

just thought I would give you an update. We tried 2 different types of traps which so far haven't caught anything. I have used gloves to set the traps and burried them in soil for a week before setting them to get rid of any smells but to no avail.

I have finally resourted to smoke bombs which work but are expensive for the number we have to use. As you have to bury one for every 3 mole hills, I think the secret is to use them when you only have a few hills not a field full!

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:19 pm »
Hi. Might not be suitable for a field but my grandad used to put a length of bramble down the mole hill ( I dont know if he pushed it into the run as i was only young...many moon ago now!) As moles are heamophiliacs (sp?) they bleed to death. It worked for him. It might upset some animal lovers but moles are a nuisance and it is a cheap and chemical free way to get rid of moles....albeit a bit cruel. Hope this doesn't upset anyone.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »
Hi Buffy, the guy who cleared my dad's garden a few years back coated his traps with some sort of worm extract which he bought at the local fishing tackle shop. He swore by it. He said it gave off a strong odour that the moles couldn't resist.
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »
Last year I was inandated with molehills.  tried everything to no avail.   I have geese and still had moles.  The cat caught and killed 2 moles.  Now that the snow is thawing I CAN SEE i have still got moles.  I think a trap may be the only deterent.
Cheers Helen

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:08 am »
Hi Helen,

I have finally decided to get "a man in" to tackle the moles and the rabbits ( I have 4 warrens now!) as the moles seemed to have been very busy under the snow. I dont see this as a defeat but mearly a tactical withdrawl and a chance to bring in the cavalry.

My plan is to learn from him so I can tackle them myself in future. So I'm loosing the battle in order to win the war. :D

I will pass on any tips.

Buffy

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:59:29 am »
We tried everything including the little gizmo that you find in greeting cards.( put it down the hole and let it play until the battery runs out) Eventually my husband was persuaded by the the farmer next door to remove the top layer of soil and look where the runs were. then he put the traps across a run and recovered the ground.  Next day we had caught two of the blighters!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 11:23:49 am »
I know this doesn't remove the moles as such, but I find if instead of stamping the soil down hard, (which of course is what one is tempted to do) I now remove the soil from the mole tump (it can be stored in a bin for seed compost making) and eventually the problem settles itself down a bit. 

My theory is that they build their tunnel network and if it is left reasonably undisturbed they don't need to re-do it.

All the best
and Happy New Year
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
My Uncle Tot (his nick name cause he liked a tot of whiskey) used to be a mole catcher back in the bad old days when they were licenced to use strychnine, I remember helping him prod the ground between mole hill with a thin stick to find the runs then set traps.

Like the windmill idea - let use know how you get on.

Cheers Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS