Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i need help getting my muscovy ducklings sexed  (Read 2493 times)

diana22

• Joined Jul 2010
i need help getting my muscovy ducklings sexed
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »
i am based in hertfordshire and really need some help, this is my first lot of ducklings and i have 31 that need to be sexed so i can start selling them - they are getting too big for the area i have them in!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: i need help getting my muscovy ducklings sexed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »
Hello and welcome Diana22 from still drizzly southern Scotland.  How old are your ducklings?  Drakes tend to have bigger feet than ducks, which is fairly obvious from a young age, then they are just bigger, and longer in the body.  It's a while since I kept Muscovies but I remember that when they develop their red bits on the face, the drakes ones are bigger and more pronounced than the ducks, but I don't remember at what precise age that happens.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

diana22

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:30 pm »
The ducklings are at various ages between two weeks and seven weeks old - think i need to find someone who can sex them properly so no mistakes are made!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:39 pm »
Their voices are a giveaway but you need to be watching them when they 'quack', and with a breed that all look very similar it might be difficult
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:25:20 am »
Muscovies don't quack  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:16 am »
I have been rearing Large white Muscovy for a few years and can't tell the difference between the sexes until they are a few months old. You think you know. Then one will have a growth spurt and seem to become male when I was convinced it was female. Ducks are notoriously hard to sex. I can remember see a programmme on TV where they employed Chinese skilled workers brought in just to do the job. True they don't quack they just hiss and squeak  :)

LB

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:11 am »
Just a thought but my "duck expert" will pick up a duck if it is silent he assumes its male, females make a lot of noise.  It works 100% (for him) with Aylesburies and Runner ducks.

diana22

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:46:52 am »
because the are all different ages i cannot really go by size and they are all still at the peeping stage so cannot go by their noises either  :-[
really need tofind someone who can do it properly, didn't think it would be so difficult to find someone and its so frustrating

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:56:31 am »
Maybe no one wants to offer to do it, because they may be wrong? :)  It is frustrating when you need to know before advertising them. Hope you find someone.

I find it hard with my young silkies - they seem to be turning into males at an alarming rate now.......two are crowing, and thats how I know they are boys.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
HM what a great tip,i had my 8 Aylsburys up for sale with not a clue to what they were someone has just been and bought 2 they wanted 1 female and 1 drake after looking at pics all day i thought there were 7 female and 1 drake,so picked up the female what a racket then picked up what i thought was a drake as he had much more of a curly tail then the others and bingo no noise.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:59 am »
Its how my very knowledgeable friend sexes his (and mine).   :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS