Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herbs: Basil  (Read 2817 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Herbs: Basil
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »
Hi all.. I wasn't sure where to post this as there doesnt' seem to be a herb section  :o

I have been told that basil is quite difficult to keep and indeed I went through a few plants that just died off.. however I seem to have got it right and my two current basil plants are going nuts and keep going all winter. I thought I would share with you what I do if anyone wants to give it a try

Ok the basil I bought was from adsa (supermarket) and was one of those already growing fresh ones...

Location: .. i keep it indoors and on my kitchen window.. this window gets morning sun probably until about 11am then is light but shade the rest of the day

Keep the potted basil inside another pot ~ don't ask me why I haven't a clue but if the plastic pot it is in isn't in another outter pot mine die. The pots i have for the outter pots are both metal .. don't know if this makes a difference.

Watering.. let the top of the soil go dry and hard then put in just enough water so that it makes a puddle covering the soil and leave it to soak in.

I turn my plants around once a week so each side gets a turn at the light.

Feeding: I would love to say do it every xyz but what I would say is a maximum of once a month .. just use a little feed diluted in the water

keep cutting it... I cut off the tops to keep my plant probably about 8-10 inches high.. cut off long stems and remove lower leaves.. pop them in to a glass half filled with water.. and wait for roots.. once you have a good long load of roots .. pot them and you have a new plant (i started doint this incase my older plants die, however I have started giving the plants away)

Sam

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Herbs: Basil
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »
Hey, good idea that - how long till roots appear, Sam?  Have I time to do some to be potted for 14th August (thinking of Kinross show where CSSA have a stand and we are going to sell plants to raise funds)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:06:43 am »
Oh gosh yes .. I usually find that I have enough roots can be anything from 7-10 days but you will definately have more than enough time if you get them in now even if they take a few days more ...just put them in a light but not full sun spot and they go crazy :)

Sam

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
Right, one more quick job before teatime and ring craft with Bobby then.
TTFN and thanks Sam
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »
I grew basil this year from seed.  It started really well, and once the seedlings were big enough I repotted them into their own pots.  I put half outside and the rest inside.  They all got to about 3" high and quite bushy (both indoor and outdoor), and then suddenly they all started dying.  I have no idea why.  But from what looked quite successful, I now have no basil at all.   ??? 

So a month ago I would have said 'growing from seed is easy' - now I'm not convinced.  I may stick to ready growing plants that need growing on intead from now on. 

"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
I planted my basil from seed - started it quite late on the windowsill, moved it out to the coldframe and it was looking a bit sad, so I just put it in a tub of compost I had not yet put the carrots in - now its big and bushy and growing seeds (I think).

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 07:35:21 am »
I always throw some basil seed in with my tomatoes and, despite all the watering the tommie plants get it always does well. I grow basil indoors too with little problem and now I think on, the pot is always in another pot as Samanthat mentions, but that's because I always water it from the bottom. My mum always said basil likes wet feet.
I water all my indoor plants from the bottom.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS