Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting out advice...  (Read 2132 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Starting out advice...
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »
Hi guys,

I am starting to see some of my gardens clearing and area's for raised beds are starting to be a reality for me (finally).

So it suddendly dawns on me, I have been so focused on clearing moving and disposing that I haven't actually given any thought as to what to plant  :-\

I estimate that my first raised beds will be ready next month. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can plant and how long they take / when I could harvest. The garden area is full sun most of the day (when it comes out). Soil is good and I have a completely blank canvass to start working with :) I would like to see some stuff to help me through the winter while also hoping to plant something that grows quick just to help with my excitement  :farmer:  :carrot:

Just harvested some of my fruit bushes and brambles today and got another bumper crop which I plan on turning into something that will hopefully last longer than 5 mins in my house. Although the kids are already eyeing the blackberries with jammy intentions. Raspberries have gone nuts this year.. last year not a single berry made it through the back door as the kids seem to view the canes as snackfood  :D I'm not complaining but it would be nice to actually make something with them this year... covert operation: get the berry commences LOL

Again any veggie advice with regards to my beds would be really appreciated. I haven't realy grown veg before so consider me a complete novice :)

thanks again

Sam

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Starting out advice...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:23:53 pm »
Hi Sam.  Even before you start planting your first raised bed, you can sow some oriental salad greens in a bucket , tub or big pot.  I only started to grow them this year but have found them excellent. They start to crop in just a few weeks and suddenly you have enough for a plateful of delicious  salad every day.

I have not used raised beds, but in any system you need to have some sort of rotation of crop types. This helps to prevent the build-up of soil-borne diseases specific to each crop type.  The usual way is to keep all the legumes together as they return nitrogen to the soil. Potatoes are great for clearing the ground and they need plenty of muck dug in, which then leaves that plot ready for something like roots the following year.  Roots like rich soil but they hate fresh manure, which makes them fork, so if you plant them after potatoes there is still plenty of nutrition in the soil.  Brassicas are also heavy feeders and suffer from two major problems - club root and cabbage root fly, so they need to be rotated too. The alliums ( garlic, onions, shallots and leeks) suffer from various soil borne diseases, so you need to fit them into the system as well
Salads and so on fit in around the others and permanent plants such as rhubarb and globe artichokes need a separate bed.  Strawberries can be fitted into the rotation system as they are replaced every three years, on a rolling system (ie you replace one third of your plants each year).
This is just touching on rotation.  The best thing is to buy a good vegetable gardening book (you will be spoilt for choice) so you can plan what you want to put where and get it right from the start. It will also keep you right about when to sow and harvest what, and what you can sow direct and what needs to be started off indoors.
I keep meaning to ask people why they use the raised bed system.  What has made you decide to go that way? Vegetables grow perfectly happily in the ground without all the time, money and hard work of making raised beds, which harbour slugs and weed roots in the edges, and need extra watering in drought conditions. They also make it very easy to jam your fingers between the fork handle and the edge of the bed when you're lifting tatties. They are very useful where the soil is thin or very poorly drained, or for people who are disabled or elderly and need to work at a certain height.  I work my ground with a rotavator (being of the slightly elderly type so digging is difficult), then I use weed suppressing fabric to make flat beds with paths between for some crops and I grow the rest in ordinary rows. Much more flexible.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply its both helpful and really informative .. I am planning to rotate .. basically I am going to number my bed and rotate everything each year leaving 1 of 4 beds barren for a time while I dig in manure. I am used to rotating horses on grazing land so figured applying the same principle would work hopefully the same way lol.

Couple of reasons for raised beds for me and I plan on making quite high raised beds from various free sources.. firstly my back does tend to suffer so for certain things I would like much less bending in order to get at the goodies :) and also I fear my dogs (or kids) will flatten anything at ground level so it's also working as a security feature for me :) as they can run around the beds rather than over them. some things I will be growing in the ground and I hope to introduce a modest polytunnel (maybe next year)

I have some fruit trees which I planted last year down the bottom of the back garden, eating apple, damson, pear and bramley... which are also producing just a couple of fruit already. Brambles are in plentyful supply just about everywhere else in my garden but I have planted some gooseberries, red and black currants and raspberries in several large bathtubs until their permanent home is ready :) these will be going direct in the ground also.

I am so grateful to everyone for being helpful and informative I am so excited about growing some things in my garden :)

Sam

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:45:45 pm »
you can also sow carrots , cabbages , cauliflowers , leeks , spring onion, radishes , lettuce, 40 day broccoli, all for winter use (the radishes will be ready before then as will the lettuce and spring onions ) ,courgettes , loads of stuff. 

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/34

seeds of Italy have lots of very good stuff for sowing now , and they are a good price for loads of seed .

good luck !!

cheers

Russ

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02:56 am »
thanks for the info :)

I just popped on amazon and have bought myself a veg book .. the RHS book of veg .. I have their flower book which was bought for my birthday and I find that it is very comprehensive.

Can't wait to get stuck in so I put it on a firstclass delivery LOL should be here in a couple of days :)

Sam

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS