Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pony prices  (Read 12988 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Pony prices
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:35:34 pm »
Was stood talking to the father in law looking at the ponies, we got on to the conversation of mother in laws giving him an ultimatum about having to down size in the pony department  ::)
He has 2 lovely young coloured fillys whom are in foal to a fell colt, so he wants to keep one and sell the other, i said id sell it for him  ::) knowing full well he would get round to it maybe by 2015? lol

I know the market is sloppy atm so was wanting opinions on a rough price from all you nice horsey people  ;D
She is a really nice roan (blue?) and white chunky filly with wall eyes, a little feather, roughly 4 yrs old, roughly 14hh, is halter broken and leads but still a bit shy, in foal to a fell pony, will be passported and chipped, she is still young and would make a nice riding pony once foaled and weaned etc, she could easily carry a small adult, an all around a nice project pony i thought  ???
I'll see if i can get a picture of her too
Lots of honest opinions please  ;D
Danielle

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Pony prices
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:54:35 pm »
Sounds very nice, and sure to be ideal for someone, like you say even a small adult.  I ride Dales and Fell ponies quite happily.

There are a lot of horses and ponies for sale at the moment round here.  A lot of the livery yards have put prices up, and the increases in feed, etc. has made some people realise its far too expensive and they are selling up.  I notice in my local feed and tack shop there are dozens of ads either free long term loan, or even free to a good home.

As I see it, they are not broken in, and are in foal.  OK, you are getting a free foal of course, but its another mouth to feed, and you cannot do anything with the mare until she has foaled, and then the foal has been weaned.  So, in pricing that has to be taken into consideration.

As to how much, well, I would price her a little higher than you are thinking, and then you can always come down.  See what reaction you get.  Suppose it just depends on who is looking at the time.

Having said that, coloureds do seem to be in demand and sell, so good luck!!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »
If you had been posting this, this time next year I would have been down to look but am full up this year, have a horse on 'maternity leave' so until his mum has had baby and taken him back or found him another home, I cant think about having anymore, well, I can think, but thats about as far as it goes.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 05:02:39 pm »
Got a picture of molly

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »
hi what are you wanting for her.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:44:30 pm »
£500 ono?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »
is she fit and healthy. what is her due date.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »
How would you get her to Shetland from Yorkshire, Paul?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »
horse transporter. daughter is wanting a riding pony. plus we would get a half fell. its cheap to get the horse from aberdeen to shetland so its very do able.

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:59 pm »
The coloured horse market is dire at the moment. Unless it is a quality horse which has done something, the money is really poor. Take a look on Dragon Driving site and you'll see coloured horses/ponies going for a few hundred pounds. There seem to be hundreds of them all over the north of England. A man told me recently he was buying coloured colt foals for £100 each in Cumbria.

I was at a recent sale in my area and bay horse mares with coloured foals, to a coloured sports horse, at foot were around one thousand guineas. It's a buyer's market.

If she were my filly I think I'd be working with her to make her into something a bit more desirable. If she'd been bitted and worn a bit of tack, and was walking on the longe and long reins, perhaps, she may appeal more to buyers. A few weeks' work would make all the difference.

Being in foal to a Fell pony should be a selling point rather than a disadvantage in my opinion, but then I have part-bred Fells here.

It's a fine line between asking enough to feel satisfied if she sells, and asking too much which will just put buyers off. I suppose, realistically, if you advertised her at £900 ono, you may get 650/750 with luck. She is a nice filly.

ETA...oops, this took me so long to write there have been four new posts since I started. ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:04:19 pm by AengusOg »

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »
For a horse transporter from Yorks to Shetland it cost me two thousand seven years ago Paul. Mine was a professional who wanted a bunk and expenses on the boat. He was excellent though and looked after them like royalty, some folk just stick the horses in a horse box  and leave them to their own devices. The transporter  wagon could open into two loose boxes as well so on legally required breaks he let them have a stretch in the extra area, also as he was a transporter he could give the horses the required overnight checks and water visits on the boat.He was disgusted that the other horses on the boat were distressed and ignored.You can get space on a empty box coming up to Scotland but then you have to pay for stabling at Aberdeen till the legal 'wind and weather' forcast that Northlink go by for horses and a box is available to take them on the boat. Shetland ponies are crammed together like sheep but cattle and horses the weather has to be right as they are more loosely boarded.Also the transporter had padded side panels for boat transport and made for the balancing/ leaning the horses do on a boat.If the weather was bad the night mine were brought up they could have been stabled in the transporter rather than find livery for the night,which some stables in Aberdeen do charge the earth for as they know you are stuck.For peace of mind I would go for a professional. I would get in touch with Sue Nicholson at Whiteness or a riding club in Shetland and see whats for sale before having one sent up.There is an Apaloosa for sale but only heard that dont know details.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:41:40 pm by Hermit »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:50 pm »
we have found a recommended transporter. they are quoting 300 + vat. plus a stabling at aberdeen. they have proper horse transporters not boxes. the horse will have its own pen on the ferry cost about 80 quid. the only bit to sort is the transport from lerwick here. they did say it would cost them a grand to get the transporter up to shetland. it must have been a very good one to cost you that much. http://www.ericgillie.co.uk/

i was very surprised at some of the prices that some of the ponies were going for  on dragon driving. thats worse than the shetland market dartmoor ponies going for £55 they must be prime targets for the meat trade.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »

Would recomend Eric Gille we have used him a few times and they are pretty reliable.
Anne

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:57 pm »
I really like your pony, nicely marked with a great shoulder on her, she will make a super little ridden pony. We are down in the south and ponies are still making decent money if they are priced correctly. my concern for your little mare is actually that she is priced too low. I would want at least double than what you are asking as at the price you want you could end up with the dealers etc who will take her and whack her and the foal into the sales in the spring. If you were not so far away I would happily pay you what you are asking and come up and collect her tomorrow.!!! lol Also when was her due date?  I assume its not until next spring? Wouldnt want to travel her too far if its any closer but she is a gorgeous pony and I hope you get the right home for her.  :)
juliag

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »
Hi,she is lovely,i have just sold a 2yr old cob gelding well handled good in all ways for £800,like juliag said i think she is underpriced,if you were nearer would have been there tomorrow morning.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS