Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Travelling rules  (Read 10387 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Travelling rules
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:35:35 pm »
Thanks mandy definately helps   ;D

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:11 am »
There was an article in the Telegraph magazine this weekend about a couple who have pigs in their backyard and an arrangement with the guy who supplied the pigs to collect them for slaughter - the reason given for this arrangement was that you need a licence to transport livestock.
No wonder there is confusion.

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:58 pm »
Hi guys just an update we downloaded the form from the link on this thread,easy to fill out posted it off and it was back in around 4 days... How easy was that thx for all your help would never have done it otherwise.
Rob & Manda
Rob & Manda :)

farming-girl

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »
Sorry to throw another spanner in the works but the Transporter Authorisation (Type 1) is only half of the process.  The transporter authorisation simply gives you an identifying number (like a CPH) but for when you are in transit rather than at home.  If you want to be fully legal then you would still need to complete the "competency certificate" for transporting animals.  This is the test that people are refering to and usually costs although can be as little as 35 quid if you do it with NFU / wool board etc - It also very easy to complete.  The law says that if you transport in connection with an economic activity then you require a transporter authorisation (type 1 covers you up to 8 hours) and a competency certificate.  You will find Trading Standards will deem taking pigs / any animals to shows as economic activity as there is usually prize money involved if you win.  It would also be economic activity if you sell any meat once you have fattened the pigs.  Hope this helps....and really the competency certificate is not hard to complete!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
Farming girl
Don't know where you got your info from but this is not what i was told by WIT. There was no mention of having to take a test to go with it and if it was the case that a competency test HAD to be taken surely they would be following up all the people who had applied for type 1's or whats the point of having the type 1 when you can go straight for a type 2!!!! ???
Also when i rang North Yorks trading standards showing was not considered an economic activity as generally there is no financial gain even with prize money as entry fees and cost of going to shows clearly outweigh whatever you might win.
Most of the smallholders on here probably transport animals 2 or 3 times a year, unlike farmers who may go to mart with trailers full of stock every week. Big difference epecially the way some of them cram animals in!! ::)
Rob & Manda  - glad to help. Was there anything in the stuff they sent back to you suggesting a test should be taken in addition?Would be interested to know.
Best
Mandy

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:40 am »
Unfortunately Troops, this seems like another hangover from the good old centralised Goverment having ahand in everything we do, that hasn't had any real thought gone into it, and, seen as their's cost involved we're creating yet another pointless Bureaucratic job for someone, somewhere.

I can fully understand why the rules are in place, but it just seems like it is another stealth tax that if you should be making any money out of then the Government will somehow find a way of taking their share!

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »
Mandy no just the certificate in the post no mention of having to do anything else,appeared to us that that was it done and dusted. Cheers
Rob & Manda :)

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »
someone has posted on the tamworth breeders forum, directing people back to the berkshire breeders website and their information is that there is a complete exemption from needing either a type 1 or 2 for up to 4 pigs as long as there is 1 person (responsible adult i assume) per pig on board.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:38 pm »
I'm still finding this very confusing. We have just received our Type 1 Certificate. It also came with a letter saying that since 2008 the certificate would be invalid if we did not also complete the competency bit. We plan on selling some of our meat to relatives and friends so even though we're not 'proper' commercial farmers with loads of animals apparently this means we definitely need to do the test. We've booked ourselves on the course just to be sure. Now we just have to hope that we pass!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »
how do they know your planning to get donations to help cover the cost. unless you have been through all the meat markerting regs and spent a fortune who will know.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
I'm confused :-(( so I fatten 2 pigs tell anyone who asks they're fort families consumption. Where do I stand? I may well sell a bit of pork to my extended family but that's my business. Do I need type 1 and competency cert? I thought not.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
Oh blimey!!!

I can't take any more time off work to take the pigs to the abattoir in October. Hubby was going to take them to the trailer but I'm assuming he can't do that on his own as we have two pigs :-(

Maybe the dog can go as the second competent adult (although he's only 9 months old!!)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 07:47:29 pm »
if they are for you use then you can take them.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »
I have never heard so much knicker twisting as this subject causes.
Helencus - Take your pigs to the abbattoir as far as anyone is concerned they're for you and your extended family, as Shetland man says you don't sell them, family and friends merely donate towards your feed bills and i very much doubt you make a profit  so no economic gain.
Susieq - your husband can take your two pigs too exactly for the same reasons as helencus above.
Susie - what you don't advertise the authorities don't see same reason as helencus.
Ways & means people - use your brains! All of you do what you do as a self financing hobby.
No one has ever asked me for a transport cert ever even though i have one and i go showing all over and the more fuss everyone makes about it the more we will be engulfed by red tape, so the best asvice is to go about your hobby quietly (which is what it is) and stop stressing about these bloody regulationsand understand they were put in place for commercial small to medium producers not smallholders like us.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:05:20 pm by Fowgill Farm »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 01:35:55 pm »
Perhaps this needs a start again function :).

Question a - are you taking your pigs over 65km? (or over 8 hours)? - if answer no, then you do not need any certification, you will come under the Welfare Of Animals Transport Order (WATO), but if anyone on this forum broke these rules I would be amazed, as long as you have a sound road legal trailer, side gates for the ramps, travel pigs that are fit for transport and have enough room for each pig to sit or stand at their choosing, then no problem.  ENDOF, no more to be said

The more complicated rules only come in if you taking your pigs over 65km

If so questions below apply

Question b - IF you are going over 65km but under 8 hours, then
1. Is it an exconomic activity?  Defra's guidance below on this subject, but if doing for meat you are likley to come under their rules, but ONLY if you are going over 65KM

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/transport/documents/watoguidance180208.pdf

2. If economic, then you have an exemption of one adult handler per animals, so if taking two to slaughter OVER 65km, then two adults can accomany, 3 pigs 3 adults etc.

3. If you are transporting more animals than there are handlers, then you need to be certified, 27 multiple choice questions - any idiot can pass this test with no training.

Question c - if you are going over 65km and over 8 hours and economic  - then you need to be certified, as wel las your vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:41:02 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS