Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 10week old pig. can they eat crabapples  (Read 9225 times)

lad-eng

• Joined Aug 2008
  • lancashire
  • my first pigs (pietrains)
10week old pig. can they eat crabapples
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:57:42 am »
can anyone answer this question please.
i have a crabapple in the back garden, and i am woundering if they can eat crabapples. will i have to boil them.
and how much do you think i can give them.
any ideas or opinions would be great
thank you

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: 10week old pig. can they eat crabapples
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:33 pm »
hello,

Generally pigs will only eat something that is OK for them. A good example of this is a field full of daffodils and pigs.
 I would offer one up (cut in two) and see what they do with it.

Cheers

Gavin

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:22:03 pm »
Hi
Well said Gavin pigs will eat what they know is ok. As for apples and fruit in general, I have lots of pigs who will just eat them whole and enjoy, however some pigs---- Hillarysmum will know who I mean, will enjoy the fact that you stand, core and slice and feed individual slices at their request, then enjoy.........who is in charge here I ask daily????
Iam safe in posting this at the moment as HM is offline but watch this space later.

Carole

lad-eng

• Joined Aug 2008
  • lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:25 am »
thanks for getting back in touch guy, i'm well chuffed.
i think i will take my pigs some crabapples, along with the tomates and carrots i have for them tomorrow morning.

i have been only splitting the morning feed, into half fruit/veg and half grower pellets (i think they are called). so i have been doing ok, they seem to be happy, one off them lets me stroke her already.

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:20:19 pm »
Hello, we have two yorkshire X Tamworth growers at the moment and they love apples. My neighbors property used to be an apple orchard (80 years ago) and they have several trees left that have not been cared for since it was sold off. We gather the fallen crab apples almost daily in the fall and feed them free choice to our pigs.  We dont do anything to the apples at all just dump'em in the feed buckets and they go crazy. they know when i bring a paper bag down its time for a treat and get very excited! we also pick up the veggie scraps from the store down the street. almost a 5 gallon bucket every day mix that in with the apples and any leftover or spoiled milk from the super market next town over and it makes a very cheap and tasty dinner!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

lad-eng

• Joined Aug 2008
  • lancashire
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
thanx for that, been giving the little blighters a few apples and they love them. i will give them more now i know it's save.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS