Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free range eggs at the gate  (Read 12967 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Free range eggs at the gate
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »
some people are never satisfied!!  ;)
Little Blue

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »
like i said I thought it was the taste, So why you not ment to wash the eggs?
Craig

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:32 am »
Your not meant to wash the eggs as you will remove the thin layer that prevents bacteria entering the pores in the shell.  When the hen lays an egg it is covered with a thin layer which dries within seconds (the bloom).
If your hens are laying on the floor or on dirty shavings or whatever give them a box of clean shavings to lay in.  I used to use a crisp boX which could be cleaned out a couple of times and then burnt...cheap and cheerful. If they are laying in a clean area you shouldnt have to wash them.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 09:03:53 pm »
Thank you hennypenny. My hens are laying on clean straw, and have now stopped laying in the nest box and are laying on the main floor. I dont know the reason for this, maybe a space issue. They will be moving into a new 6x4 over the weekend so will see what that brings.
Craig

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 06:50:24 am »
If you are moving them anyway.......
when they leave the old house (if its going to be empty for a short while) creosote it inside and out.  Perhaps you will find that you have little friends hiding and thats why they wont use the nest boxes.
I sprayed inside 2 houses yesterday....one had an existing problem,but its been reduced and I might be able to clear the infestation in a week or so.  The big laying shed was alive....much worse than I thought.  From the bottomof the walls up to the roof (but not in the roof) on all 4 sides.  Will redoin 5 days.

Then I went to check my blue orps (who are in a ply house).  Did not think there was a problem, but had a few squirts...and yes there are some there too!  Will be out today,squirting and spraying....

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 09:11:17 am »
Im pretty sure ive no little freinds, As I have 3 sleeping in the nest boxes. I think Im just a little neat for space since I got new highlines, the new shed will sort it out. For some reason though, they are pulling the straw out the nest boxes, Just have to see what happins.
Craig

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 10:05:57 am »
My 4 are finally now all laying, 3 or 4 a day, so I am taking a dozen into my daughters nursery each week and the ladies there fight over them for £1.20 for 6. They like the taste - and the fact they often get eggs that are still warm, they are so fresh!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 08:52:51 pm »
what breed do you have Egbert?
Craig

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
I have 2 ex-batts and 2 Copper Star. The ex-batt eggs are huge!  :P

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
double yokers? no one complains when they have a couple of them on there tray, soon whinge if there a little smaller though
Craig

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »
Hi,

Coming into this one late,

But just remember if you are selling eggs at the gate then you are classed in the eyes of DEFRA etc as a commercial enterprise, the rules are then different from just producing eggs for your own consumption etc.

One that springs to mind is which wormers you can use - but Im not opening up that bag of worms again  ;D ;D ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS