Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What tarpaulin for hay  (Read 5361 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
What tarpaulin for hay
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:11:39 am »
Finally getting our hay cut and bailed into small bales - we have to do an outside stack as we don't have any storage - has anyone done this with relative success and does anyone know what type of tarpaulin I should get and where from - after a google search I'm at a bit of a loss - thank you
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What tarpaulin for hay
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36:45 am »
Will watch this post with interest as I was going to ask the same question!

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »
For a variety of reasons which i wont bore you with, I have about 600 small bales of top quality horse hay (£4.50 a bale) in an outdoor stack under sheets. They are stacked on a layer of wooden pallets with the stack topped off with a layer of pallets to laeve an air gap. On top of this I have placed sheets salvaged from a lorry curtainsider trailer - these protect the next layer from splinters. The waterproof layer is a silage sheet (black plastic) and this is held in place with a 'secure cover' and gravel bags - see here - http://www.securecovers.co.uk/secure_covers_for_stacks.phtml . This has worked extremely well.

Another place you could try:

http://www.bigbale.co.uk/html/accessories.html

Still no substitute for a shed!

regards

Oldploughman

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:56 am »
I used the pallets as described but on top of the upper pallet I use loose hay to protect the tarps which are the ones used on trucks etc, very thick and strong and if looked after will last. I now have in-door storage so do not use this method any more. The wind is you worst enemy so try and find a sheltered place.   
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:32:56 am »
the key is to leave an air gap... do NOT put plastic tarps directly onto the bales especially new bales as they will sweat and go mouldy
Ian

BAKEWELL11

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »
I buy builders tarps from building supply places or large hardware shops. go for the ones with holes round the edge and tie rocks or heavy things on, this will stop the wind getting under and taking your tarp accross the field. Also use pallets as decribed earlier. stack bales properly to keep air flow goin and prevent mould or heat buildup. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS