Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Bristol  (Read 5031 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Hello from Bristol
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:57:40 am »
Hi there :)

My name is Samantha and I am a mother of two adorable? kids Emma 11 and James 8. At present I am in the process of clearing out my rather large gardens which seems to be something akin to battling an ancient war against the god of thistles and brambles. It's slow progress but progress none the less :) the plan is to set up raised beds, I have planted a few fruit trees last year and next year hopefully a polytunnel. I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 ferrets and 2 horses and most of my friends refer to me as Mrs Noah lol.

I love to make things and do all sorts of crafts, embroidery, sewing, basket weaving... the list goes on lol. Cooking is also a passion of mine and I love being in the kitchen particularly at the end of summer when I start making all the pickles and preserves that never last us as long as I think they will.

I look forward to chatting with you all and perhaps picking up some ideas and tips

Sam

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Hello from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:28:24 am »
Hi Sam and welcome from South Lanarkshire in drizzly Scotland.  Maybe one day you will add spinning to your list of crafts.  Yesterday I was spinning at our local agricultural show in Biggar - it's amazing how many children don't have a clue how cloth is made, or where the raw materials come from, but they are fascinated.
Preserves time up here too - just started with blackcurrant jam.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »
hello, from a non gardening not very good cook. 

carrie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »
Hello, sounds like you have a lot of lovely work to do. we have raised beds, they so much easier. we have chickens instead of ferrets. That does'nt sound right!

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 12:47:47 pm »
Hello & welcome from North Lanarkshire - also drizzly.

Yes, the fruit is ripening & we're enjoying last week's blackcurrent jam.  If it lasts too long, then it wasn't tasty enough!  Good food should never last as long as you thought it would.

John

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »
Very true words there John :)

I have never tried spinning although I took my children over to wales a couple of years ago where they could see it being done .. they had a go with hand spinners .. none of us were very good at it LOL I think I managed to make a lovely matted piece of string looking thing, but it was great fun. I think it's important for kids to know where things come from and how it's made.

The kids are very much looking forward to growing things (ok I actaully think they are looking forward to the eating part more) but they are keen to give it a go  :farmer:

I have kept chickens in the past but unfortunately Mr Fox <enter explitif> got in so this time I am not underestimating the security and Mr Fox will need an angle grinder and blowtorch to get in .. and quite frankly if he turns up with them he deserves the chickens lol. I am looking to have not just layers this time but table birds also... I am going for warrens as the layers, I had them previously and they were very productive all year round. Not quite sure what to go for on the table bird front as I am looking at rearing these from hatchling eggs.. perhaps I should post in the poultry section and ask for suggestions :)

Sam

I did have an image of something I made in this post but I have removed it and put it in a post under the crafts section :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:56:01 pm by Samantha »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi and welcome from sunny Alloa!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:30:07 pm »
hi n welcome Sam
Craig

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:03:56 pm »

Hello and welcome from the Scottish borders  :wave:
Anne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »
Hello and welcome,

Beth

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 11:46:05 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:01 am »
Hi Sam
welcome from drizzly worcestershire.
we grow some veggies here and my 4 children love it - they have their own plots and spend hours, they love eating their own produce too and will try stuff that they might have turned their nose up to if it ws from the shops.
we grow plums mainly  ;)  we are just starting our main harvest so its chaos!! hubby makes country wine from it (17% proof) and a local vintner has asked him to make 200 L so we are aiming for 500L this year and I will jam or chutney the last few plums.
also make soap from our goats milk  :)
Lisa x 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:29:40 am »
Hi and welcome from a currently sunny North Yorkshire.  :wave:

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:37 am »
Thanks everyone for the lovely warm welcomes.. I must admit I have felt like I have found my home in cyberspace :D everything I love all in one place with the most helpful and friendly people anyone could wish to find.

Lisa ~ plum wine .. /checks map .. realises your not very far from me hehe... I have also started brewing this year my first batch of mead is sat fermenting.. and my neighbour and I have made stout and cider from kits to get us started. I have a bilberry wine kit also which I hope to make this week or next. But our end goal is to be making everything from scratch.

Sam

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:35:23 am »
Hello from Ross-on Wye, Herefordshire. Originally from Gloucester and used to work in Bristol  :)
Chickens, shepp, veggies and children here!  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS