• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
SNOW!
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:56:29 am »
 :snowman: :snowmanhead:

Who started the morning like I did .... rescuing fruit and netting over poultry from 4 inches of snow?  .... Fruit net will need replacing ... poultry net is sunken down to level where I have to bend down!    It is still snowing so may have to do it again later!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: SNOW!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:32 am »
We have only about an inch of snow, but it was minus 10 last night, looks like being colder than that tonight. :cold:

It's amazing how net holds snow.  A few years back when we had a good foot of snow, the net over our brassicas became so heavy the plants were all crushed, so by the time the weather improved (took ages) all our brassicas were slime.

How is everyone in the North?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
We have a little snow here..trudged through it to feed the sheep. Also lost our hen's netting.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:21:03 pm »
No snow here in South Devon, just a howling gale. Foolishly tried to go for a run this morning- outwards was ok, being blown along, return journey at one point I was at a standstill! I felt a bit like a sweaty mime artist! :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
We have around 3 inches of snow and it's still snowing although it's warmer now so it's a bit wet.
This is the day I was waiting for when I decided to save all the ivy and brambles to feed the  :goat:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:58 pm »
Have done the nets for a second time.

Went for a walk about the smallholding snow is now 5-7 inches deep on fields .... cant remember the last time I saw snow this deep .... probably Kent in 1982/3
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:16:35 pm »
2" this am, up to 4ish now and it's still snowing - and forecast to do so until after midnight when it turns cold & clear.

had to shake out the pig (electric) fencing and decided to give them a bit more ground to clear so they don't have so much incentive to try the fence if it's shorted out...

sheep are eating through my hay supply at a rate that'll exhaust it by newyear.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:10:50 pm »

Beautiful sunshine, and not a single snowflake in sight! Trees all nicely frosted over.

But cold.... water buckets inside the goathouse iced over again after being cleared/refreshed this morning, and had to de-ice the tap in the goats house at lunchtime again.... but we do keep a hairdryer there for exactly that reason! Milking machine also needed the hairdryer treatment this morning.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:12:05 pm »
We were down to -9 on Friday night.

Light snow on Friday and Saturday.

We have 9 and a half inches of snow now and still snowing!
It hasn't stopped all day.
Only vehicle we've seen on our lane was a tractor at lunchtime. Think we are virtually cut off now, especially seeing that it's now freezing.

Looks very beautiful and daughter is very happy because school is closed tomorrow. :snowmanhead: :snowman:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:18:31 pm »
:snowman: :snowmanhead:

Who started the morning like I did .... rescuing fruit and netting over poultry from 4 inches of snow?  .... Fruit net will need replacing ... poultry net is sunken down to level where I have to bend down!    It is still snowing so may have to do it again later!

As you know just down the road from you in the Cothi Valley and no snow here at all.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:43 pm »
No snow in Carnoustie but minus 5C about 15 minutes ago and it's been at or below freezing all day. Sunny and not a breath of wind though, so I can live with this even if I have to take water to the animals.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
We are in w. York's, following forecasts, expected to be snowed in today, collected big haylage bale, extra bags of feed, nowhere to put them so still in van.
Just a couple of light showers today. And no I'm not complaining  :) .
-2.5 Friday night, but supposed to be colder tonight, pipe or pump to barn frozen, so carrying buckets from well. So goats aren't getting buckets left in pens, not carrying gallons of water for them to mess in them within minutes  :( .

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 08:31:06 pm »
Just been out and measured eleven inches on some ground where it has fallen evenly today.  Montgomeryshire.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:52 am »
It's about ten inches deep round here so we are housebound. OH is doing the goat feeds for me as I daren't set foot outside in this.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:48 am »
No snow here in North Lincolnshire, but very :cold: :cold:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS