Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping Ducks  (Read 1856 times)

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
Limping Ducks
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:19 am »
Hello,
A few weeks ago, one of my runners was limping....he could use the foot but was definitely limping.  After examining him, he didn't seem to be in any pain when I touched the foot / leg area but he did seem to be struggling to walk. 
Eventually the limp decreased and he is now walking fine.

This morning, two more of the ducks are limping!  There doesn't seem to be anything in the pen injuring them, and these two also seem fine in themselves.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Limping Ducks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
Hedges been cut lately, leading to thorns on the ground?  How high do they have to jump to get into or out of their overnight housing?

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
No, nothings been cut and their houses are on the ground!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:35:29 pm »
Have you wormed them recently? I've never encountered it myself but have heard that ducks will go lame if they have a heavy worm burden?

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:18 pm »
We have found Runners to be the worst at getting lame, just the way they are built. When ours have gone lame they usually get better after a few days/week like your first one. I presume they just sprain their legs, though that wouldn't explain why two went lame unless anything has changed in their pen?

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »
Have found the same with our Campbell’s. Clears up in a few days and I’ve always put it down to a sprain or similar - they aren’t very good on uneven ground, especially when rushing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS