Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pruning grafted apple trees  (Read 2465 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Pruning grafted apple trees
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:12:10 pm »
Hi folks,

We planted some apple trees three or four years ago, but then had terrible problems with canker, which was really well established in a group of nearby older trees.

Last winter we chopped down the older trees, and also the worst affected young trees. However, just to see what would happen, I tried crudely grafting some cuttings onto the stumps that were left. To my surprise, several of them took, and also the tree sent out its own new shoots as well. (Since these new shoots are above the original rootstock graft, I guess they'll be from the original tree too.)

My question is, what should I do now?:
  • Cut off the new shoots, and prune the grafted in branches as if they were a new tree?
  • Let both the new shoots and the grafted branches grow, and end up with a sort of 'family' bush?
  • Get rid of the grafted branches, and try to get a good shape out of the new shoots?
  • Dig the whole thing up and stop being so stupid?
  • Something else?
Thanks in advance folks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:15:11 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Pruning grafted apple trees
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:14:07 am »
I vote (a): Cut off the new shoots and leave the best grafted branch as the leader. Treat it as a maiden whip next year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:43:02 pm »
I'm a bit worried about the third pic, which looks as if there is some canker where the shoots come from the main trunk.  If that is so, then with that tree you would be best to remove it carefully, roots and all and burn it.
However you decide to prune, be very careful to clean the knife in surgical spirit, using an old toothbrush to scrub with, between each cut.  Sounds laborious, but it does help to prevent spread.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:42 pm »
My vote would be with Dan, keep best graft. But if there's a length of the old scion wood there, and you know it's susceptible to canker (and as fleecewife says, one looks like it might have a bit of canker already) perhaps you should look to cut this lot off lower and do new grafts this spring into the rootstock? Well done getting your grafts to take!  -But I'm no expert at all, it's just a suggestion, but seems a shame to dig them up if they can be used.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 04:21:43 pm »
Which varieties do you want most? 

If the rootstock is regrowing and you miss those trees, keep at least one of the new shoots and maybe one of the grafts so you have a family of 2. 

I wouldn't try for a whole lot of each on one plant, but you might wait to prune until Jan/Feb to check they're all coming on well, or even leave over winter as is and do a summer prune once you've checked that the canker isn't still coming through one or both.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS