Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting land prices  (Read 3032 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Renting land prices
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »
Because I am not in the financial position to be able to afford to buy land at the moment my only option would be to rent.

My question is how much would it cost per acre? Obviously I know it depends on the grade of land etc, but if you could give me a ball park area then I would know what to plan for. Still don't know where to find fields/land Morayshire for rent though.

Thanks in advance
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Renting land prices
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »
Have you tried asking aberdeen and northern marts - they should give you an idea.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
Thanks for that  :thumbsup:

Might try some local farmers too. Just to see if they have some land available or know of any.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:34:57 pm »
Good luck with your search.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:31:41 am »
I’m not in your area but a ballpark for severely disadvantaged upland in Cumbria is £40-100 per acre per annum, at the lower end for moorland and the higher for decent grazing/hay meadow.  But that’s usually for larger parcels, it can often be more per acre for small lots.

And that’s for land for stock grazing, you don’t say what you’re wanting to do with the land.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 07:10:04 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. I would be using the land for pigs, rabbits and veg.

I have plans to buy a wood or land to put woods on but that's in the mid-future.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
You may struggle to find land to rent for such use.  My knowledge is of England, however, and things may differ in Scotland.  Here, land is categorised by use and if landowners want their subsidies, they don’t have leeway to change the use.  So, grazing land would only be available for grazing use, and agricultural grazing use at that.  I’m not sure whether rabbits would qualify.  Digging and pigs certainly wouldn’t.  If you want land on which you can grow veg, then you’re not looking for pasture land but arable, and so on.

I don’t know how much land you’d be looking to get the use of, but you might do better to ask and look around for non-farming folks with a little bit of land - an acre or five - that’s getting away from them, and offer a mutually beneficial arrangement where you and your pigs clear the land, cultivate it, and so on.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 09:50:14 pm »
Interesting bit on Countryfile last week on pig farming on rented land in Thetford.  They were using pigs as part of a arable cycle (I.e temporary villages 1 or 2 years on a field then move on.). I imagine this works with the land use issue Sally mentions as it is not changing the primary use.  We drive past these villages fairly often and it does look a very happy set up.  No idea about costs though.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 08:09:56 pm »
400 quid for 10 acres - providing you fix or replace fencing? PA

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:39:43 am »
Last time I rented land around here in West Wales was 8 yrs ago and it was £100 an acre p/a for decent grazing.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
I've approached someone who has two small fields (about 3 acres) she doesn't use now after her horse died. I'm waiting to hear back from her  :fc:

Thanks for everyones input. I'm still working on my plan to own a wood too  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS