Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wind turbine to heat greenhouse  (Read 6454 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
wind turbine to heat greenhouse
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:47:51 pm »
What is the possibility of constructing a DIY wind turbine to heat a small greenhouse? Is that a practical means of heating? Has anyone here done it?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: wind turbine to heat greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:21 am »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:22:10 pm »
You could dump one of these in a barrel of water in the corner of the greenhouse?

https://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/products/Pool+Accessories/Pool+Heating/Solar+Pod+Solar+Heating+Kit+For+Swimming+Pools/3758104545
I rather like the look at that, I may get one to see how it goes , maybe a solar fountain pump would provide sufficient flow

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:51 pm »
technically it's doable I suppose - though I don't know of anyone who's done it. The was a chap in north America (somewhere winter gets properly cold) who used a wind turbine to stop the horses water trough from freezing - a vertical rotating shaft went down into the trough and turned a paddle wheel underwater, effectively friction-heating the water.

I know of someone who's ducting heat from a large compost heap to heat his greenhouse - but he does need to regularly agitate and add to the compost to keep it heating, and of course taking the heat out of the compost slows the decomposition.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:49:23 am »
You could dump one of these in a barrel of water in the corner of the greenhouse?

https://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/products/Pool+Accessories/Pool+Heating/Solar+Pod+Solar+Heating+Kit+For+Swimming+Pools/3758104545

It's good for frost free weather  to heat  small pools .  My pal Paul made something  similar 10 or more years ago & put it it on his garage roof out the way , used a small solar panel to drive a small fountain water pump to get the hot water down into the covered insulated pool . The pump was on the hot side delivery pipe ., think it was to do with the syphon effect being better used .

Would it be any good in winter .. I doubt it Paul's wasn't  , you'd need saltwater or an antifreeze mix  in itin a closed loop with an expansion tank  to stop it freezing up in winter as well
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:20:12 pm »
The details say to put away in winter in a frost free location, so might not be the answer.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:15 pm »
What is the possibility of constructing a DIY wind turbine to heat a small greenhouse? Is that a practical means of heating? Has anyone here done it?

Not likely to be very effective during one of  those very cold but frosty spells with no wind that we get sometimes in the depths of winter.  :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS