Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: itchy crusty heels  (Read 2163 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
itchy crusty heels
« on: November 26, 2017, 03:48:03 pm »
My anglo nubians two front feet are very itchy and crusty and when I rub them the hair will fall out in clumps.  Its obviously very itchy and is some sort of mites?  I have sprayed with antibiotic spray but what else can I do?  She is having a visit from the buck the third week of December so obviously need to get it cleared up before he comes.  None of the others have this problem.  Thanks.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: itchy crusty heels
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:05:07 pm »
One of mine gets it. Seriously sore and can affect all of his feet. I rub loads of sudocreme in. The second day apply again and the bigger crusty bits fall apart and usually I don't need to treat after that.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:45:58 pm »
Probably heel mites. Talk to your Vet but probably Front line.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:30:13 pm »

Heel mange (chorioptic)  - your vet will be able to give you either an injectable, but as said above Frontline spray (as for dogs) sprayed directly into the legs will probably sort it. It is not licensed for goats producing milk for human consumption, but unless you are milking her now she will probably be ok after 5 months...

Eprinex pour-on (cattle version, but there is now also an identical goat version for sale, I suspect the cattle one is cheaper and your vet is more likely to have it) is allso good for it, and it has no milk withdrawal period. Pricier than Frontline though...

I have found it is often an individual problem, even with goats sharing pens on the same bedding, some get it some don't...

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:16:25 pm »
Mange mites
invectermin , you can get it in a drench give second dose 10 days later works great
Best thing to use for quick relief is petroleum jelly (Vaseline) smother area in it.
Kills them,they can not breath works a treat , apply for 3-4 days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS