Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beautiful crias  (Read 2884 times)

Teresa

Beautiful crias
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »
We've had two female crias (baby alpaca) born in the last week ;D Theyre going to be part of next years breeding programme. Theyre absolutely gorgeous!
http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/xx347/Katchoo_album/Alpacas/Aphrodite/
http://s770.photobucket.com/albums/xx347/Katchoo_album/Alpacas/Kimchee/

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Beautiful crias
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »
oooh, definitely gorgeous, aren't they?  My neighbours llama had a cria recently. I walk home from work through the fields, just so I can stop and watch it.  Its a female, and so was the one born last year, so they are lucky.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:48 pm »
gorgeous....
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56:44 am »
Beautiful

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:25 am »
They're lovely!

Must tell you a funny - the first time my son Toby saw an alpaca (he was 4) was at the Usk Show.
He went running over to the pen and cried out in excitement - "Look Mummy - a Horse-Sheep!"  ;D

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:14 am »
They are gorgeous.

DP and I were looking at starting with alpacas - we went to visit an alpaca farm and have a good long chat with the owners and have been doing masses of reading up on it. However, we are stuck on the land t do it - we are surrounded by a perfect 10 acre field owned by OH parents, but cant get our hands on it very easily!   >:(   :-\   ;)

If you have any advice or good starting points  . . . ? ;D ;D

Teresa

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:23:47 am »
Lol  :D horse sheep is a new one :D If you want to start in alpaca and have no land (my situation at present) try agisting. The animals are yours but are looked after on someone elses land. You can put in as much or as little input as you like, build up your herd, have your females mated and be there to watch your crias pronk around in delight. Maybe if you take OH parents to see some alpacas or maybe get them to do a funday (loads of fun but not full on) maybe theyll be captured too and understand what you want to do with the land

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »
Thanks for the idea, I will have a look into that. Might be a good way to get started, and build up our own confidence in looking after them as well.  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS