Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you recommend a simple hand loom for an older person?  (Read 2431 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Can you recommend a simple hand loom for an older person?
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:55 pm »
My mother has said she would like to start some simple weaving.  She is 87 years old and is fairly crafty, if you know what I mean.  She has done quite a bit of embroidery in the not too distant past, and is creative in making her own designs.  She would need something she could work with on her lap.  Her eye sight is not brilliant but not too bad.

I know nothing about such things and am doing some research but thought it worth asking in this friendly place.

many thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Can you recommend a simple hand loom for an older person?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:10 pm »
Either a small rigid heddle loom or a tapestry loom should fit the bill.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »
Either a small rigid heddle loom or a tapestry loom should fit the bill.

Thanks - will check them out

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:01:07 pm »
I have a Kromski rigid heddle loom - it's great, but your mother might find it difficult to warp - it needs either a lot of walking backwards and forwards, or having a friend to help.  I think Ashford does a 'sample loom', which might be better for a novice. The tapestry loom is more for making pictures, but should also appeal to a crafty and artistic person, and is not cumbersome at all.

I can now wholeheartedly recommend a daylight bulb for your mother to work by (see 'Lights' thread).  It makes such a difference  :idea:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:33:05 am »
A further option might be an inkle loom. It does limit the width of the woven item, but the advantages for your mother are you wind your warp directly onto the loom, and with something like a small Ashford inklette she could work with it on her lap. The weaving is simple but by creative use of colour in the warp, and using pattern books, she could weave some interesting and useful items - I use mine to make bookmarks, bands for Key rings, belts and handles for the bags I make from woven carpet yarn. As you can probably tell, I am a bit of a fan of the inkle loom!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:46:19 am »
On the Ashford inkle loom (autocorrect wanted me to put inkjet loom ::)), the later type have a different warp tensioner than older ones.  My sister, who is 64, struggles to use the sliding tension peg on the newer ones, she doesn’t have the strength to pull it towards her.  She prefers the older, twisting paddle type of tensioner.  Just thought I’d mention it as your mum (like ours) is 87 :)

I have a 16” Ashford rigid heddle which I use on my lap, with a table in front of me to rest the far end on. 

As well as rigid heddle looms, there are peg looms.  No need for a pal to help warp a peg loom up :).

ETA there are also pin looms, where you weave squares that you stitch together.  Schacht make a version called the Zoom Loom but there are cheaper options.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:49:40 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:55 am »
Thank you for all these helpful thoughts.. Will look at them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS