Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anyone growing mushrooms? (not the magic ones)  (Read 2874 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
anyone growing mushrooms? (not the magic ones)
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:04:48 pm »
wheres the best place to buy them and deo they go all year?

Craig
Craig

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: anyone growing mushrooms? (not the magic ones)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:00 pm »
I've tried 2 years running but got nothing... seems like I'm not even a fun guy anymore.... sorry.... ;D
Ian

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »
do they have a season then? or can they go all year? my dad used to grow them under the bed!

Craig
Craig

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »
I am thinking of growing mushrooms too. I get the impression it's not as straight forward as I originally thought although I have yet to really research the issue.

My original plan was that once DH has mowed the lawn for the last time this year I will load the entire compost heap into a series of daleks, pop a load of well rotted manure from next door on top and then just sew a load of mushroom spawn into the manure and wait and see what happens.

However, I think I may end up buying ready spawned mushroom compost instead as there seems to be difficulties getting it all going.

I'll keep you posted.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:01:44 pm »
Hello all just a comment that I know about.In the next village Its Waltham a chap had a mushroom farm It was a army nissen hut waterproof  He had rows of small bales and drenched in water then the spores? set on the bales the mushrooms grew and were harvested When there were only odd ones he took the bales out and started again If you went and asked him you could have a couple to dig into the garden lovely rotted manure and you may get a crop of mushrooms to boot ??? ;D :farmer: (He has sold up and retired and there is some affordable housing on the site now
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »
do they grow all year then? as long as its dark and warm?

Craig
Craig

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:07:59 am »
Yes :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

AWP

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:39:03 am »
You can buy mushroom spawn on e-bay (with full growing instructions)!!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »
There is a natural season for mushrooms from about September.  However, if you do the DIY route with pre-spawned dowels - some types need a cold shock to get them to "fruit" and others prefer warm damp.  All depends on the type.  Never had any luck with the dowel things except for one type of mushroom.  Am going to try the bale next year though.  Good luck and let us all know!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS