Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Braised Squirrel  (Read 8846 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Braised Squirrel
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 09:10:38 pm »
Boris allways looks like hes got a mouth full though
Craig

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:20:48 pm »
Well, I got away with it once with my very fussy OH, and said it was chicken.  I say got away with it, he did question the colour of the "chicken" as it was rather brown compared to chicken.  Never told him what it was, so he is none the wiser.  Did not tell him the other bit either, that one of our dogs caught the rabbit, and I grabbed it off her ;D

I have seen rabbits ready to use in the shops and they are expensive!!

rabbits is such a versitile meat... anything you can do with chicken.. same for rabbit. i went to game/ food fair  i had the most wonderful rabbit jerky and rabbit leek and italian cheese pasty.. was awsome. the great thing is that it is so healthy for you so low in cholesterol.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:00 am »
I saw on TV recently that rabbit was a more popular meat than chicken before the war ...

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:09 am »
Squirrel is tasty meat. I only use the lower half of the carcase for eating. Not enough meat on top half. I portion it, dip it in flour & fry on high heat just to brown. Then cook in my slow cooker with onion & carrot for about 4 hours.
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »
ive heard rave reviews about squirrel, havent tried it yet but im getting some via my local gunclub soon
ive eaten many different native meats and fish includeing rabbit, venison, feral goat, pheasant, snipe, grouse, wild salmon, wild trout, pike, wild woodpigeon, mallard duck. and i hope to try eel sometime.
i also eat my own fowl including surplus roosters, guinea fowl, quail, duck.
GEM. X

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »
And as for HFW - he eats woodlice. Enough said!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »
Rabbit was on Channel 4's Food programme on...uhhh... Wednesday, I think. There isn't much meat on one, though, and even less on a squirrel so I can't be bothered, really.

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:43:06 am »
I know some butches give you a few quid for a shot rabbit, a good way to earn a bit of pocket money!!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
Hi Sheila That spanish chestnuts you talk about? and where do you get them? am a man lol

Craig
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS