Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Recipe book  (Read 9192 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Old Recipe book
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:30 pm »
I have an old farmhouse recipe book, which came to me via my Aunt who lived at this farm for many years. Think it was probably printed in the late 1940's early 50's.  Lots of recipes on how to use up the pig the farm killed, as well as coridals and drinks form the fruit grown.  Lots of recipes using cheaper meats etc.....oh, and  dried egg ones of course.  Plenty of pickles and chutney recipes.

I have actually cooked some things from it, and all turned out ok.  I was heartbroken as I thought the book was lost, but whilst packing up to move, lo and behold it has resurfaced.  It has no cover, and is tatty looking, but I treasure that book.  Will have to look on Amazon to see if I can find another copy less dog eared. 

There is a foreward saying it was printed first in 1946, and I believe my Aunty would have bought it via the Farmers Weekly.  Looks like the book was reprinted many times, so not sure how old my book is.

If anyone wants an old recipe, it may be well in my little tatty book, so just ask :D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Old Recipe book
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »
I love the old books , I have a gem called Pickles Salads and homemade wines from the Good Housekeeping series an amazing collection of recipies I have never heard of before. Another good one is Cookery for Northern Wives by M stout which has just been republished. The things you can do with oats! :D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »
 :D  Some of the recipes I thought were quite nice, my OH has eyed with suspicion.  He has to know exactly what is in it....bit sparse with the truth sometimes I have to admit. He usually eats it though.  He would draw the line at anything with offal in it, which this book seems to have a plentiful supply of recipes for.  And maye the pigs head or trotters bubbling on the stove would be a no no for him too - on second thoughts he would run a mile at the sight, so the chance of him eating it are very remote.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:36 am »
Tell you what Roxy If he lived with Kath and I he would be awful bloody hungry a lot of the time.Thats the trouble with this part of the world to day If it doesn't come out of a fancy box out the deep freeze in a supermarket it IS NOT EDIBLE.The waste caused by this faction is unbelievable Many of them will eat Beefburgers and Hot dogs I am surprised that the RSPCA hasn't put a stop to that one I could go on for ages but who would listen?So why bother  :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45:31 am »
I've got a Mrs Beeton one - printed 1922 I think, pretty tatty now though - well thumbed!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:23:17 pm »
Hello Annie love I have her book of Household Management It is a bit of bother converting recipes though.I also have a modern Purnell It is all ready converted.My Best one I bought with a months pocket money in the 50's it is a book published bu Farmers Weekly of letters sent in by Farmers wives Now it is interesting and it is all yellowing through right to the spine.I hope it don't give up ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »
I am happy to try recipes out of my old book .....my Mum and brothers and sisters were brought up on it, and all lived to well in their eighties, so did them no harm.  Plus, the ingredients are usually to hand, and cheap.  Lots of veg, they assume you grow your own.

Looks to me like the recipes are all from farmers wives, as their names are after each recipe, and where they live.  Maybe some of your relatives recipes!!

Pork cheese sounds quite nice - like brawn. I like brawn, but OH definitely would not, even before he has seen it.

How about braised sheeps tongue anyone?  I like tongue too.  Beetroot and potato pie?      See, I told you I am happy with these old fashioned recipes.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:32:40 am »
I've got all the old Farmer's Weekly cookery books also the newest one printed two or three years ago and full of good recipes.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:33 am »
Yes Sylvia Compiled from recipes submitted By people who Know how to cook

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »
And nothing was wasted! Fancy a recipe for lambs tail pie anyone? My favourite is one that instructs me to "take your dish to the side of a newly calved cow..."
Also the weights and oven temps. Modern folk wouldn't understand twopennorth of saltpetre or place in a sharp oven. I just love these books!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »
I managed to get an old pickling book by Fanny Craddock, i will dig it out and give the title but there are some fanastic recipes in there many of which i have tried. think it was 25p from a charity shop and is a great slice of history, its a shame that there are so many forgotten recipes in such a short period of time

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 03:20:55 pm »
I bought an old army cookbook (circa 1969) Everthing is to be done exactly as it says in the book. I suppose that is so that anyone can cook in the army! some good recipes though,

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »
Roxy, try www.abebooks.co.uk if you have the title. I get most of my books through them nowadays.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »
I used to have a hand written book that was by my great grandma and her mother, it was written in war time. They had a small farm up north which meant they had more than most but they did supply the small community with produce for labour at harvest time. The recipes were wonderful cheap and cheerful but very filling.

My grandma past away when I was 14 and as I had grown up with her I was given the book, unfortunately a few years ago I was broken into and that was one of the things that was taken and never found.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 03:29:37 pm »
Thank you Anke, I tried that link, having peered closely at the tatty forward in my book, and finding the author. Yes, they did have one.  It was £9+ then £8+ for the postage from America though .......

Ellisr, what a shame about your recipe book being taken.  Sometimes, its the sentimental things like this that go, and upset us the most.  Whatever would they  take than for, it was worth nothing to anyone except you, for its family value.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS