Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ivy and pigs  (Read 6183 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Ivy and pigs
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:38:55 am »
Hi this is Stacy, Jackies' daughter, she has asked me to message you all as she's at the farm and has no internet.
Is ivy (normal garden ivy) poisonous to pigs? Mum wants to put the pigs into a wooded area where there is lots of ivy growing up trees
Thankyou

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Ivy and pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:39:52 am »
I dont think its poisonous as sheep can eat it.  However they will probably ignore it.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »
Yes the pigs will not eat it, but they may well destroy it.

We put some on a patch in a wood which had ground ivy.  They rooted it all up whilst they looked for other stuff, and killed it in the process.  All sorts of nice stuff now grows in what was a choked area.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54:18 pm »
I use ivy as a tonic to perk my goats up if they have been ill.  Just the leaves, not the bits with berries on.  They go mad for it.  Not sure about pigs having it though.

AWP

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:47 am »
My Pigs live in a woodland, which was full of ground ivy, also the trees were covered in it as well, they ate the lot over a period of time, and they were all fine!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS