Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a stud billy to another holding  (Read 3516 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Moving a stud billy to another holding
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:57:01 am »
I have been considering advertising Bobby the pygmy as a stud to cover peoples pygmy females.  Just by word of mouth, I have had a couple of enquiries already.

Just wondering about paperwork, as they want to take him away and keep him at their farm for a few weeks.  Do I need to fill in a movement form as if he has been sold, or is it something different?

Also, what is a fair stud fee to charge?  He is not registered, but a good looking chap, and throws nice coloured kids, that are pygmy sized.  Can also be used on the smaller sanaan x breeds, and again we have had nice kids.  Don't want to charge silly money, but have to bear in mind that people are advertising both male and female pygmy kids at £150 each, so not going to give his services away!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Moving a stud billy to another holding
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:53:20 pm »
I have paid in the order of 20 to 30 pounds per mating for my BGS registered females to go to BGS registered males, but on top of that I had driving costs and CAE cert costs. Also one was boarding for a couple of weeks, and that was about 25 pounds, and I took my own concentrate and half a bale of hay. But I am sure she was spoilt rotten while she was away.

If he goes to another farm not sure what you would charge for hire for him, but am certain that the usual movement forms have to be filled in for going there and coming back.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:43 pm »
Thank you Anke.  I have only had females come here, not him go to them, in the past.  And those were a favour to friends, so they just made a token gesture :D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:51:52 am »
Hello!

Technically, you can move a male for breeding purposes, without any movement restrictions. However, I think you do need to fill in a movement form.

As for the fee, remember they are having to feed him as well. It used to be if someone borrowed a billy, they got the use of him for free, as they were feeding him, and if anyone else came to use him (whilst he was at theirs) you got the stud fee for that.

However, in more recent years, it is more common to ask for a stud fee, albeit maybe a reduced one to offset their feed costs. I was charging £35 for a stud fee for Raker. He was a proven male, a Breed Champion, with all his certificates to become a full Champion. That wasn't very high stud fee, but even so, it is unusual to get people coming to stud nowadays. I know people in your area charge as much as £50 for a stud fee, for a registered goat. I would probably say to the people who are borrowing him, the normal stud fee would be say £30, but because you are looking after him, it will be £20 or £25 per goat. I think thats fair.

I having been trying to reply to this for days- and only just got to it!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:23:24 pm »
Ooops, missed your reply, Beth.  Thank you for your input.  I think thats a fair price to ask.  I just hope the people realise that billy goats, including pygmy goats, need strong housing and fencing :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS