Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 5737 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Ear tags
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
This subject really confuses me mine you doesnt take much!
Can anyone answer me why my new flock have different colour tags?
Some have Green,some have Blue,some Yellow and some that look Pinky Colour.

Thanks

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:34:41 pm »
until this year you had to have a yellow tag and another for stock control. now the only tag that can be yellow is the eid one others have to be other colours

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:37:58 pm »
jeeezus how does anyone work it all out  :-\
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:12 pm »
Its not so bad really:

Yellow for EID Tags
Red for Replacement Tags
Black for Bolus

Then you can choose whatever colour you want for batch / slaughter / management tags
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »
In Scotland EID tags can be any colour other than red or black, so mine are white! Matches the sheep and the goats' ears!

I hadn't heard (or not read the bumph to that degree of detail) of the right vs left ear for the EID bit. Why does it matter, it's not that the sheep stand still and the reader must be able to pick it up from some distance away!

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:41 am »
Ours have the yellow IED tags, and then very fetching purple management tags.
It also helps to work out which ones you bred and which ones are bought in.  Our bought in ones have double yellows and a green replacement.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:46:32 am »
Just bear in mind that the second tag ( which others have called a management tag) is complulsory. It would be more correct, and probably clearer to call it a visual tag. All breeding sheep born after 31st Dec 2009 need a yellow eid tag (barring the exceptions already mentioned) and a visual identifier. Either a tag or a tattoo.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »

Sorry all this may be a stupid question BUT do I have to retag all my ewes with EIDs, at the moment they just have the original single tags that they came to me with, the only exception being the ewe that I bred myself which has 2 yellow tags.
Anne

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »

Sorry all this may be a stupid question BUT do I have to retag all my ewes with EIDs,

No, the original tags are fine if they are intact.  The EID rule is not retrospective - it only applies to this year's lambs.

John

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »

Thanks John
Anne

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Just bear in mind that the second tag ( which others have called a management tag) is complulsory. It would be more correct, and probably clearer to call it a visual tag. All breeding sheep born after 31st Dec 2009 need a yellow eid tag (barring the exceptions already mentioned) and a visual identifier. Either a tag or a tattoo.
spoke to a lady today who issues tags and she said that lambs due for slaughter only need ONE tag.  double tagging is only if you are keeping them beyond a year

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:43 pm »
spoke to a lady today who issues tags and she said that lambs due for slaughter only need ONE tag.  double tagging is only if you are keeping them beyond a year

Hence the use of the term "breeding sheep" ;)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

hennypenny

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:47:05 am »
Can anyone tell me...
if you bring a few lambs onto your holding for slaughter same year, what are the ear tags you require?  I know about the movement forms, its just the eartag thing is confusing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS