Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How soon after killing do you eat your chicken?  (Read 22322 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: How soon after killing do you eat your chicken?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »
ok folks, here's th update.  we (well hubby) dispatched chook no 2 on thursday and it's been in the fridge till yesterday.  I cooked it in a really slow oven (120) for about 4 hours and i have to tell you it was TOTALLY different in taste to version no 1!  same meatiness but so, so much more tender.  definately will be sticking to this method from now on.

hope this helps others......

smokingdragon

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Crynant Nr Neath
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »
Hi

When I derspatched our Ross Cobbs, I left them hanging after plucking in a shed for 3 or 4 days, like I do with pheasants and then to the freezer. Cooked them as normal at about 180c and they were moist and tender.

Cheers

Simon

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »
we will have our first meat birds to dispatch in about 9 weeks - have got a mixture of hubbards and poulet rangers (a type of Sasso).  Having never done this before, just want to check a few things....i had already been told that if we kill them on say a Tuesday, to let them hang until the Saturday which would tenderise the meat and improve it.  Slightly confused, as some people seem to literally mean hang them, like Simon in his shed in the previous post, and some people talk about putting them in a fridge - do you really hang them in a fridge, or just lay them in there on a plate etc?  Also, presuming you all pluck them before hanging or putting in a fridge as read feathers meant to be easier to pluck when the bird is still warm?  Finally, when do you dress them/remove innards etc?  when you kill them, or after they have hung?  We have 14 chicks, plus a LS chick (that we are fairly sure is a cockeral) which will be 24 weeks at the point the others are 10 weeks, so planning to do most of them at the same time, as i am due a baby in 13 weeks, so would like most of them out of the way by then!  Might keep a few back to grow even bigger as i gather the Sasso boy's can reach circa 14lb, and even 9lbish if left until about 12 weeks?  But if they have to be literally hung in a fridge, we won't have space to do many at one time!!  And probably one final daft question, but if the birds are left hanging in a shed or garage or wherever, what means that the meat is still safe to eat?  what about flies or anything else?  I'm one of those people who until now has obeyed all best before dates and keep my ketchups in the fridge, and the idea of hanging chickens in a warmer environment for 4 days just seems asking for food poisoning!  Can someone please educate me!! thanks L

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »
dispatched, plucked and innards out all at the same time.
left on plate in fridge for 3 days (nowhere to hang and felt a bit funny about it any other way)

cooked and ate

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 03:11:35 pm »
Hi - I have kept poultry for 30 years, and my parents before me.  So I do what we always did. 

Kill bird.  I prefer what my father did ie break neck and do not bleed (but I am a whimp and get someone else to do it)  After breaking neck hold bird by feet and at arms lenght till fluttering has stopped

Hang up by feet and rough pluck immediately.  Wing feathers first (hardest to get out) then tail feathers then others

Leave hanging up till cool, but watch for any flies, then straight into fridge (no need to hang them then just put on shelf) or somewhere cool and fly proof (kill after autumn and flies are not a problem)  I you havent space in fridge and flies are around cover with an old pillowcase.  Be careful flies seem able to get in pretty well any little gap

Gut them anything up to 4 or 5 days later if in fridge, maybe a day if outside and weather a bit warmish.  Finish taking out any missed feathers and stubs You can use pliers or trap each stub or pin against the egde of a knife blade to make pulling out easier.

If there are long hairs on the carcass singe them off with a taper (hardward stores sell them)

Wash caviety well wipe dry and its ready for oven or freezer

I have Marans and eat them at any age once big enough.  If it is a laying hen upto a couple of years old I poach gently in stock with veg.  You can then eat the bird hot or cold

If it is a cock up to about 2 or so I marinade in redwine with herbs and a bit of lemon and wine vinegar then Coq au Vin

Younger birds are left whole for roasting or the breasts and legs removed and frozen seperately and the carcass made into stock straight away.  This save space in the freezer.

By the way Marans are wonderful dual purpose birds, and were originally imported as meat birds because of their gourmet flavour and white flesh - it was only afterwards that people decided the eggs were nice as well!!

all the best
Sue
 :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS