Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: monster monsanto...  (Read 4587 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: monster monsanto...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »
Thank you for that Little Blue.  It's great to see such a small and battered country having the wisdom and will to stand up for their future in such a way.  Makes me embarrassed to be a weed-in-the-wind Brit - we stand up to no-one any more.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:04 am »
what you mean the great british 'stiff upper lip'??? more like roll over and let everyone ride roughshot over us!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:34:31 am »
Please stop putting these sort of things on the forum. I have just spent about an hour with this one.LOL

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:24 am »
I'm with you WP but what can we do Promises Promises and as soon as they( And if you don't know who they are you are as thick as --- s--- an it wont float) are elected they are as bad if not woss ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:58 pm »
Can you imagine the world without Monsanto, Bayer,Doff and the like. All the food crawling with caterpillars and grubs all the potatoes and carrots full of slugs and grubs. Leave off and grow up.Its all right being a "GREENIE" on in YOUR Garden scale but on 2000 acres of taters?Don't forget the Housewife want 50m/m riddled no scabs no slug holes  go on leave off ??? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:24 pm »
Please stop putting these sort of things on the forum. I have just spent about an hour with this one.LOL

**cowers** sorry Sheila !!
Little Blue

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »
i helped a local farmer with spuds last year
the picked off the biggest potatoes i have ever seen.... were do they go i asked
stock feed, cos the great british housewife wants a spud she can hold in her hand!!!!

erm, tescos didnt survey me on the size of spuds!!! i would rather peel 1 than 10!!!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:57:23 pm »
Whilst I somewhat share Wizards comments on letting science forge a way forward for the better in agriculture as with any industry for that fact, I also reserve the right to be a sceptic over Monsanto's aims in donating 'experimental' (and I use that loosely) crop seeds to nations in need.

If I was just placed with the argument 'GMO or not' in this situation I would almost certainly answer - do whatever as long as its for the greater production as its been trailed as safe.   

-But looking at the history of Monsanto and the way 'it' (as a faceless entity) behaves and conducts its business in general, I am swayed to feel they are donating because its at a situation they can take advantage of, they are not doing it as charity but to produce a vice over these needy people to either run a 'public trial' or get them into some kind of long term contract or dependence or their products.  I mean why not give them a choice of real un-patentable seeds or their own 'Monsanto' brand modified variety - I am sure they have lots of seed hanging around in the que to be modified :)

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:22 am »
Baz. What does Modified mean? There is all this ANTI modified this and Modified that.Is F1 cucumber seed Modified ? Is F1 Tomato seed modified.? What is the difference? Both have been genetically buggered about with.Only Monsanto does it on a bigger scale.and from reading reports haven't greased the palm of the right people in this instance.Who let the peasants know?Only a thought no proof but in the UK I am still allowed to think what I like! Just yet.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:37 am »
You think you are allowed to think what you like george. I beg to differ!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »
You may Sheila but I had a go with one of the alleged top Trick cyclists and he gave up ;D :farmer:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:52:11 pm »
I think as far as Monsanto are concerned George , you have your view and I have mine ... very different .. they are not what they want people to think they are . As for F1 'Hybrids' , they are just that . They are crosses of two or more of the 'same' plant . That is fine if you are prepared to go to the seed merchant every time you want seeds . We are told that it is all for improved quality , but in reality it is just to keep you buying from 'them' as F1 will not come true to type . Some are even sterile !!!  It isn't the 'modifying ' by selective breeding that I have the problem with , it is the Genetically modifying of plants , mixing plant genes with other plants even with fish and animals . Once again they say it is for the benefit of people ... crap ... They (Monsanto) did it in India with cotton , they sold their seed cheap via smaller seed companies that they buy up . The Indian farmers had always kept their own seed before this , well the Monsanto seed was no good , crops failed and there was no seed worth saving as the Monsanto seed was fitted with the death gene ...ie the seed isn't viable . So you HAVE to go back to Monsanto to buy ALL your seeds for ever more . Many Indian farmers committed suicide due to failed crops ,and therefore livelyhood . They are doing the same in the states . Thousands of farmers are going under .
 They are collecting patents on all seeds now .. so in the end even a wild grass seed will belong to Monsanto and you will have to pay them to use it . This they are doing in the US now !!!!
Oh and Monsanto the caring company ... they created Agent Orange !!! used in the Vietnam war . Over 400,000 dead directly due to it ... and many more  times that figure suspected to have died because of it . Also over 500,000 babies born with birth defects attributed directly to agent orange . Many more being born today with defects . Agent Orange is an evil substance ... just like the company that created it .
Roundup is their little baby also ... there are now people being born roundup ready ..ie their DNA contains roundup  DNA ...Yes we really need companies like this to save the world (  according to the companies themselves anyway ) .... well some may I don't .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joweZ6uM5iY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/glyphosateTolerantCrops.php

cheers

Russ

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:46:55 pm by RUSTYME »

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:09 am »
been away for a while and just thought i'd pop in to see whats happening

Delighted to come back to see a monsanto rant by Rusty!!!

good man!!

keep up the good work!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:19:11 am »
Well I would sooner live with the many good things Monsanto has given us than worry about agent orange and the like Sellick

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS