Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: oldest daughter doing diy  (Read 3335 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
oldest daughter doing diy
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »
my oldest daughter decided to tack a bit of loose carpet down with 2 inch nails. you can guess what happened. we were lucky that they had put foil backed plaster board up. abut 5 gallons of water later we got the water off. we have weird plumbing/wiring. having a leak on a sunday afternoon up here is not a good idea. luckly the previous owners had left a cut off valve that just fitted.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: oldest daughter doing diy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:41:27 pm »
Was she sent to her room without any supper, Paul? Poor girl - bet her life is misery tonight!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:40 pm »
nah we all mess up. apart from 4 drain holes in the ceiling no damage. i did note some mouse damage to some wiring so it looks like a bit of diy.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:47:37 pm »
Wish you'd been MY Dad then!  She's a lucky girl!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
Girls will be girls. Even though she nearly cost you lots of dosh it was good of her to try to help  :)  :) :)
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:12:59 pm »
well said Mick!
Little Blue

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
Been there  :)  Both my son & my daughter done some mad things as kids. :) :)

bamford6

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
iff you had lived by me .i would  fix the lot at not much cost .this is whot my girl done .we had a new build they put 4 heaters in the rooms never got eney idea whot size the 3 panel heaters  all electric  .when i went to the box it was all burnt out .i had to put new spur box and cable took all day but can be done for 400 pound .out side temp minus 20
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:21:38 am by bamford6 »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »
im thinking along simular lines. there is some very odd shall we say wiring. who did it really had no idea.  to behonest the daughter was lucky. if she had nailed a tew inches to one side she would have be dead. there is about a dozen wires running through a notch. sometimes its best not to know then you dont need to fix it.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »

look on the bright side if the wiring is that bad she may have prevented a fire
Anne

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:36 am »
I realise the immediate reaction to your daughter's efforts was probably not suitable for publication (!!). However, she showed some spirit in tackling a job which she felt needed to be done and she was willing to do something about it. Good for her.

Some of my fondest memories of my kids growing up is that we spent time together doing routine DIY, car maintenance (changing spark plugs, swapping wheels round etc.).

My 'kids' are now well into their 20s so they are out there on their own. A couple of weeks ago, I visited my daughter and found her changing the oil seal on the sump on her car. She had a boyfriend in attendance but was doing all the mucky bits herself.

Showing kids how to do routine chores and giving them confidence to use tools sensibly and safely seems to me to be a good opportunity for a bit of bonding. You have to match their age/strength to what has to be done but a fairly modest input from dad or mum seems very worthwhile.

I would be grateful if they weren't glued to their games console or the tv!

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

bamford6

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:01 am »
well said

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »
No matter what they do, your time with them is so precious. Make the most of every second. My two are both in the army now & I don't see much of them. Real happy they are doing what they want in life & I'm so so proud of them both. Don't half miss them though :) :) :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS