Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Liver Pate  (Read 4505 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Chicken Liver Pate
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:18:23 pm »
150ml Thick white sauce(make it with 20g butter - 20g flour - 150 ml of milk a pinch of mustard powder and salt and pepper)
259g chicken liver
15g butter
1 clove garlic pressed
125g finely chopped bacon fat a small bramley peeled cored and sliced
4 anchovy fillets
4oz streaky bacon stretched with the back of a knife
1 bay leaf

Make the white sauce and simmer gently for 2 minutes
Trim the livers and fry it quickly just enough to set it and give it a whizz
Put it in a liquidizer with the rest of the ingredients but not thebay leaf and the stretched bacon use it to line a loaf tin Then pour in the liver mix cover with a greaseproof paper and foil place in a dripping tin half full with water Place in the center of the oven and cook Gas 4 or 180c for a couple of hours.Remove from the oven and place a weight on the top until its cold Turn out on a plate and serve in slices on Melba toastWill keep in the fridge a week or freezer for  a month longer and the garlic tends to become to strong. Its also nice on hot buttered toast
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Chicken Liver Pate
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:37:28 pm »
 a different pate with chicken livers
1/2 a dozen rashers of streaky for lining the tin
1 egg
4slices of yesterdays bread white crusts removed
4 tablespoons of port wine
1/2 lb of livers
a clove of garlic( if liked pressed)
1/2 level T/spoon each freshly ground black pepper - freshly grated nutmeg -dried mixed herbs and dried marjoram
4 Oz's bacon trimmings
4 Oz's bacon fat or lard will do
2 level T/spoons salt

Well grease a 2pint oven proof dish and place a sprig of Parsley in the center then lay the stretched rashers over the inside of the dish.Place all the other ingredients in the liquidiser and whizz well Pour on top of the bacon in the dish.Tightly cover with foil.Place a half full of water in the center of the oven with the dish of pate in the center Bake about 21/2 hours at Gas 3 Remove when cold and turn out. Slice and eat on toast.

Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »
thanks Wizard, you are the man!!! al give it a go latter in the week and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again Craig
Craig

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »
Hey Wiz man, will these recipes work with any liver?
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:16 am »
Yes Mick But Sheep and beast liver is a bit strong Try 50/50 chicken and pig. That is a bit stronger flavour.You can also use port sherry or better still brandy. Experiment Mick Try pigs liver and a bit of kidney but you are getting inti the haslet world if you do  :D. A good liver and kidney one works well spread thickly on crusty fresh bread :D Bugger it I'll do some for me tea on a Iceberg leaf on the bread first.then I shall not have to do much when I get back from the D.I.U. Me thinks its gonna be hot saffnoon eh! :D :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:15 am »
I am a big lover of most paste type food Mick but not Potted Seagull I really like good old fashioned Potted Beef on crusty new bread.Tell you what I am NOT a lover of Whole Meal and the Brown Hovis type breads though  detest them ??? ;D :farmer:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:20:06 am »
A little laff for you all.It teks me bloody ages to convert me weights from thats about rate.To metric for you to use ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS