Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Timber stables  (Read 5636 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
Timber stables
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »
Hi all Can anyone give me a rough size of a timber built stable?, Height etc and what sizes of timber would normally be used. I am designing one at the moment so all info greatly received

Craig
Craig

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Timber stables
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »
12 x 12foot is the usual size of a stable, but 10x12 or a small pony, and even 14x12 for a really big horse.  I will PM you the website of our local stable manufacturer, as they have a specification page with all the dimensions and materials used, which may be of help.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »
Thats would be great Roxy Thank you
Craig

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
tanalised timber is a must unless you plan on treating it yourself regularly. anything else is likely to rot!!!!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:33 am »
Hi Jacob, All my products are ac500 treated. the new tanalising formula. not only does it protect the wood it is safe for animals and us humans to.

Craig
Craig

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »
i just realised you asked what size of timber not what type lol sorry if i insulted your intelligence  ;) must have read it to quickly or something, just checked your website by the way some really good stuff you are making. I to am a carpenter/joiner living in Devon and at the moment i work for my dads company making windows, doors and staircases, hopefully one day i would love to do something similar to you as i think it is a could way to diversify from just keeping animals and i find making animal housing especially enjoyable and satisfying! however i do not yet have the funds/courage to do so. do you make these products on your smallholding or do you have a workshop elsewhere?? ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »
Hi Jacob. I dont have the small holding just yet. Keep my hens in back yard, But I have just veiwed a property on the local estate that comes with a couple of small feilds. I have a couple of units at the moment one for building and one as a display area. im hoping to get the other property and do it all from there. Organic veg etc. im actually a mechanic to trade. I did a few years at college in wood work, But couldnt get a job once I left. So back to cars it was, Something I had been repairing since I was 10 year old. I started my business last April with no funds at all. I worked full time as well as my own thing for 15months.

Craig
Craig

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:55 pm »
fair play to you  ;) sounds like you have done a good job there, we also are looking to move to a smallholding with a fair amount of land and also some large barns that i could use as a workshop like you said. We would love to provide the whole service i.e hen houses, water drinkers/feeders, food, shavings and pol hens that we would breed our selves. seems like the market for these types of things seems to be booming at the moment. a few years away for me yet though!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »
We've just built two 12'x17' stables with 2x4 tanalised timber. The roof is going on tomorrow!  ;D

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:46:39 pm »
yeah thats a plan Jacob, You plan to breed pure strains or hybrids? Good thing about building for the animals you already keep is you can test them and make any mods thats needed!

Craig
Craig

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »
Hi Loosey. that 4x2s on the floor runners as well? what you lining it with? weather board? and what you using for kick boards inside?

Craig
Craig

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 10:37:50 pm »
hello again, rare breeds and hybrids i think as i have an interest for rare breeds  but realise for most people hybrids are more practical, thats exactly right about the mods i have lost count of how many changes i have made to my hen house and i am in the planning stage now for a new one which will house a lot more hens, i keep seeing good ideas on various websites and trying to put them all together!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:23:55 am »
Hi Craig, inside we're using OSB board, the centre partition is only 4'6" high. I'm a bit rubbish with building, I just do the horsey bit but I believe my OH is planning on ship-lapping the outside, although we are open to ideas! It's a pretty big barn at 12' x 42' ans 12' high!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:03 pm »
Yeah Thats a fair old size. shiplap/weather boards is what you want. you can post some pics once its completed.

Craig
Craig

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:20 pm »
Hi Jacob, just curious, for example, what two strains will you breed to get isa browns? I will go down the pure and rare breeds once I have more room. Ive breed cannaries and Austrailian finches since I was a boy. Also tryed cockateils for a while hand rearing them with great sucsess. Always wanted hens, but dad been a great gardener, he wasnt up for this at all. Removing any hen eggs I sneaked into the incubater along with the batch of chinese painted quail. To be fair though, they would have caused carnage in his lovely fruit and veg plot!!

Craig
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS