Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: simple good bread  (Read 8996 times)

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
simple good bread
« on: July 17, 2010, 11:29:05 pm »
anyone got a good simple bread recipe I can use in the bread maker. the recipes that came with it makes the heavyest dry bread ever!!!!!!!!!! help

thanx Craig
Craig

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: simple good bread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49:00 am »
Hi Craig.  I have found that different breadmakers give different results so you have to mess around a bit to get the perfect loaf. The flour you use will make or break the result so it's worth playing around with the proportions til you get it just right - then they withdraw your perfect flour  :(  Suddenly no-one is stocking Carr's breadmaker wh/m flour - it's perfect).   Here's what I do in my Panasonic for a mostly wholemeal loaf: 21oz flour total, made up of 12 oz Marriages wh/m bread flour, 5oz Allinson's white bread flour or Allinson's seed and grain bread flour (purple bag) or Shiptom Mill 3 malts and barley, plus 4 oz of something else such as Allinson's wh/m seed and grain (brown bag), or wh/m spelt flour.  The white flour and the spelt both soften the loaf, as does 'brown' flour.  I don't use Allinson's wh/m for the main amount as it is very heavy.  Dove's Farm wh/m is good but a bit finely ground for my preference. I also add in a sprinkle of sesame seeds (not too many) which give a crispy crust and sometimes black poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, flax, pumpkin seeds and so on.  Then add 2 level tbsp Marvel dried milk powder, 1 level teasp sugar, 1/3 teasp salt, a small 1/4 teasp Vit C powder (from pharmacy, may have to order it), 1 heaped teasp Allinson's dried yeast, in date as once it gets old the bread doesn't rise properly. I mix all these dry ingredients in a bowl before tipping them into the breadmaker as this makes a better shaped loaf more evenly risen, then add 2 level teasps soft marge onto the levelled top, then pour on 420 mls warm water.  Bake as the largest Wholemeal on your machine.  You will see that I use far less than the recommended amounts of sugar and salt but still get perfect results every time without the health risks of so much hidden sugar and salt.  The exact volume of water used is very important too, so I have to get my specs out to check that  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:58 am »
Hello Craig I have "Mucked about" with all sorts of flours and bread mixes for a long time .As good as any I find is
600g of Lidl's Strong White Bread Flour
11/2 Teaspoons Sugar
11/2        "       Salt
2 Tablespoons dried milk powder.
25 g Butter in small cubes scattered on the flour
1 sachet Hovis or 7g Allisons dried quick yeast (NOT THE SORT YOU HAVE TO SET OFF WITH SUGAR AND WATER)
400 mils hand warm water

Place 1/2 the flour in the pan add the butter salt and milk powder Then cover these with the rest of the flour sprinkle the yeast and sugar on the top and cover with the water.Select (In my Panasonic) Crust Medium Time 4hrs Large Loaf If you fancy a change of flavour add a big handfull of donkey food ( porridge oats ) Won't win the WI bread Loaf but jolly good long lasting loaf (keeps nice and fresh) Kath likes it made with brown whole meal flour :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:00:28 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:48:48 am »
600grms Mixed white and brown flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
I teaspoon sugar
!/2 packet yeast OR 1oz fresh yeast

Mix in breadmaker, until halfway through 2nd mix and then take the dough out and leave to prove. then shape into your favourite loaf or breadcakes. When doubled in size bake in the hottest oven

I make bread everyday and find Carrs flour the best.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:54:34 am »
Sheila, where do you buy Carr's flour?  I used to get it in Tesco in Lanark but they won't stock it any more.  It is the best, isn't it  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
Hey Thank you all I will get the dust wiped of the machine now and give your suggestions a try. I gave up with it as the loafs were far to heavy. this sites awesome Thanks again

Craig
Craig

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »
I buy Carrs flour at the co-op or Morrisons. We don't have any other supermarkets locally except for Lydl. I find their white bread flour is quite good if mixed with a decent brown. It also makes decent yorkshire puds and it's very cheap.

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »
Bread machines!!!!!!!!!   You can't beat bread done by hand  8)  Made a light wholemeal loaf & white bread with seeds & sultana's today.
All by hand   :P  :P :P
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »
Bread machines!!!!!!!!!   You can't beat bread done by hand  8)  Made a light wholemeal loaf & white bread with seeds & sultana's today.
All by hand   :P  :P :P

Agree. Chuck out the bread machine. Do it by hand and you won't get that really irritating hole in the bottom of the loaf either!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:01:01 pm »
Ha ha ha  know about that one. Ex missus has a bread machine & she used to drop me a loaf in now & again.
I made pastry for cheese & onion pies & hare & rabbit pasties today also. In fridge, will make them Wednesday when I'm not working :)   :yum: :yum:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:02:59 pm »
It must be wonderfull to have all this time to spare. No Kidology don't forget I know how long it takes for so little and have done for many years
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »
My chores outside done early morning today so cooked this afternoon (and part of the evening) Like to eat well. Don't matter how long it takes at the mo. Will all change when I finally get the animals here  8) 8)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
Make bread by hand here too - well I must admit to using the dough hook of the KitchenAid quite a bit!

My recipe:
500g of bread flour - brown or white - haven't made a sucessful wholemeal yet!
25g butter, cubed and rubbed in to the flour
300ml hand hot water
1 tsp salt
1 sachet dried yeast

Chick it all in the Kitchen Aid for a few minutes, then bash it about a bit.
Put back in bowl and cover with oiled cling film, pop in a warm plce to rise for an hour.

Knock it back, put in a loaf tin, cover again and let it rise for 30 minutes. Bake in oven at 160C for 25 minutes.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
Thanks Sharondp looks like I'm going to be even more busier than normal!!!!!!!1
Craig

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
I always used to make bread by hand but started to suffer a frozen shoulder which was very painful when kneading. I am not snobbish about this. The  machine does the work up to a point and then I take it from there. I bake everyday and my bread is praised by all who eat it. Why not let the machine do all the hard work?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS