Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhubarb wine  (Read 3091 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Rhubarb wine
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
As well as a recipe a story I know it is true because I have done it.
                                                   RHUBARB WINE
Years ago Grandad Baker used to make a Rhubarb wine like this Half a cwt (56lbs) of rhubarb well chopped up and then smashed in an oak barrel which didn't have a lid fitted it was loose Ram with a clean bit of 3X4 wood until the rhubarb was next thing to fluid. add a stone of sugar  a gallon of strong tea and 7lbs of sultanas well chopped up Stir in 25 gallons of water at blood heat and stir well Then add 2 rounds of toast with 2 ozs of bakers yeast on each slice and float on the top of the mix. Cover over with an old a wet bed sheet and a wet railway sack leave for a month Stirring when he remembered to carefully remove the scum and stir up well and recover leave 24 hrs then syphon the wine out into demijohns and cork Store for use Now this is the real "WEASELS PISS" well as near as you can get without catching a live weasel.Its orribull acid weak flavour don't bother.

Now try this for a nice dry wine
2lbs rhubarb well chopped up and crushed.
2lbs sugar
1/2lb sultanas chopped
1/2 pint strong tea
Yeast and a teaspoon of nutrient
1 campden tablet
and a gallon of cooled boiled water

Leave the pulp in the pail and add the sultanas and the campden tablet which you have crushed and added a eggcup full of warmwater to dissolve it  and add it to the pulp.Boil the sugar in a quart of water for 2 minutes and add it to the pulp when it has cooled to blood heat add the tea yeast and nutrient cover with a wet tea towel and allow to ferment for 3 days stirring every day night and morning Strain through a double layer of muslin into a clean pail and wring out to get all the juice Coverand leave over night next day syphon off into a sterile demijohn leaving behind all the settled debris.top up to the base of the neck with cooled boiled water fit an airlock and leave to ferment right out.Bottle in sterile bottles and cork Leave in a dark place until Xmas.
to make a medium sweet rhubarb wine use 21/2 lbs of rhubarb and 1lb of chopped raisins 21/2lbs of sugar and use the above method This will produce a very nice medium sweet wine fit for any one.You must let it ferment right out though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:45:58 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Re: Rhubarb wine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:38 pm »
"Weasels piss"  :D ;D :D

Will try your recipe George - my rhubarb plant is a baby but I know who I can scroungs some off to try this! Will report back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS