Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oscillating hoes  (Read 5528 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Oscillating hoes
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »
Hoeing in anything other than well tended, loose soil  is a real back-breaker right?!  So I decided to try an oscillating hoe (Kent & Stowe branded, found on ebay at a really good price - turned out to be a very nicely finished tool).  Really digs in easily on the pull stroke, but not so happy achieving a good push stroke.   Achieving equal "bite" on the push stroke requires a very upright body posture to get a good angle-of-attack for the blade (and I'm near 6' tall) which means greater "arm effort" rather than whole-body effort (hopefully you will get what I mean).  OK, so I'm half-way to a very good hoe for more consolidated soil, but wondering about any other members' experiences with oscillating hoes and, in particular, any other brands (accepting that branded tools often come from the same factory these days).

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: Oscillating hoes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »
Hi Arobwk, can you put a picture up of it?
Thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
I have considered an oscillating hoe but couldn't see any advantages to it.  I mostly use two Wolf hoes, one horizontal straight blade, single attachment in the middle, with all edges sharpened, so it cuts forwards, backwards and sideways.  The other is attached at both ends and has two waveny edges, but only cuts on both push and pull, but not sideways - the double attachment protects plants from accidental chopping, as I think the oscillating hoe does  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »
You know, this thread really wasn't what I was expecting!  :-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08:38 am »
What were you expecting?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
What were you expecting?
I'm curious as well, can't think what even Womble could turn this into LOl

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:08:23 pm »
A 'ho' is a not very nice name that many gangs, esp in US, use to describe women.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »
A 'ho' is a not very nice name that many gangs, esp in US, use to describe women.
:(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:10 am »
Apologies - I haven't got a dirty mind, but sometimes it's just on a different wavelength. I have the same problem with the thread about "DIY Internal Goat Partitions".

To get back on topic though, I've never actually used a hoe (of either variety), so what's it actually for?  Is it just to break up lumps of soil, or are you also using it to cut up weeds etc? 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:59:32 am »
I attach a pic of K&S oscillating hoe (OH) as requested by Still playing with tractors:  the blade pivots back and forth to give a deep hoeing cut in both directions.  I believe it would be better if the fixed angle of the head, relative to the handle, was a little slacker or the blade swiveled a bit more.  Unfortunately there isn't enough of a gap to file down the pivot "stop bars" to increase the amount of swivel.  It's awesome on the pull stroke though, even in consolidated soil.  It can be equally awesome on the push stroke, but, as I said, only with a more upright body stance to get the forward blade edge at a good angle (= more effort).  I'm using it to "weed" close up to young willow and apple stock:  the design helps prevent stem damage.  Just wondered whether anyone had found another brand/different design in the UK:  there are many other OH designs, but UK options very limited from what I can tell.  (I guess I shall just have to hoe more frequently to keep the soil loose - whereupon, the 170mm bladed option might be added to the inventory!)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:17:45 pm by arobwk »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 03:22:52 pm »
I have one of those! Really useful if used regularly when the weeds are still small and the soil is soft and not compacted. Good for no dig gardens too.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »
Whatever hoe I use, I can only use it in the polytunnel.  The ground outside here is very rarely dry enough even in high summer, and even with a newly sharpened hoe, to cut off the weed seedlings, so they just get ploughed under and regrow.  The slugs love it though.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:42:56 am »
Thanks Arobwk, I've never seen one before, it looks really well made

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 09:42:38 pm »
The ground outside here is very rarely dry enough even in high summer ... even with a newly sharpened hoe, to cut off the weed seedlings ....

Since I only bought/tried my osc' hoe a few weeks ago, I guess the soil it was tested on could be described as well moist (albeit moorland type soil, i.e. not clay).  Maybe you should try on osc' hoe!?  Digs in well below surface when the angles are right. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 11:47:27 pm »
The ground outside here is very rarely dry enough even in high summer ... even with a newly sharpened hoe, to cut off the weed seedlings ....

Since I only bought/tried my osc' hoe a few weeks ago, I guess the soil it was tested on could be described as well moist (albeit moorland type soil, i.e. not clay).  Maybe you should try on osc' hoe!?  Digs in well below surface when the angles are right.

I'm only 5' 4" so if you struggle with it so would I even more  :garden:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS