Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 19 days in and she just left them!  (Read 6681 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: 19 days in and she just left them!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 07:03:19 am »
oooooo it's a pyrotechnics delight!   ;D ;D ;D

I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to start bonfires - a few too many close shaves with petrol (I don't think my eyebrows can take it anymore!!!)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
Red mite can be controlled with paraffin or red diesel, if creosote cannot be obtained. Once they have got to plague proportions it's much more difficult.

You must check for them at least every other day, as within a week thousands will be bred from just a few mites.
Paint and allow to soak in any perch ends that touch any wall or other timber, as thats where they hide waiting to move onto the birds after dark.

Poultry shield and the like need re-applying every few days, as the eggs in the cracks hatch and breed more.

I cannot imagine what a nightmare it must be to be infested by red mite everynight.

If your birds hang around late into the evening and not go into the coop to roost suspect red mite and deal with it asap or in the worse case senario birds can die and a house may need burning to get rid of them all.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »
it's definately red mite.  we've just been down to check and there are hundreds, no thousands of them.  i've just ordered a pile of stuff off the net but will start tomorrow first thing by pressure treating the coop.  fortunately they have a second house they can use - just an old rabbit hutch but they can use that till we get their coop sorted out.  shame i didnt know before or i could have had 6 lovely little chicks by now!  i am so cross with myself :'( :( >:(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »
I just found this thread, Laura, what a shame! Re husbands - mine only noticed the other day that lady had been eating all the other eggs bar the first that hatched! I know that at least 5 of them had chicks in them before I left...She's my favourite so I'll be gutted if she keeps that habit up!!
By the way, I'll bring one fur collar for you as you were asking for them - let me know if you have enough already and I take it out of the case...
 :&> :chook: ::)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:50 am »
oh kerstin, what a shame - hopefully she wont.  at least you know to keep a close eye on her when she's back with the rest.  What's a 'fur collar'?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:38 pm »
Didn't you ask for bits of fur for horse bridles or something on freecycle? I found an old fur collar but the coat it belongs to is long gone... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »
I thought you meant fox, Kerstin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:02 pm »
haven't caught one yet I could keep on a collar ::) :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »
My Grandma had a silver fox fur stole that she wore at Clan functions.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:53 pm »
ah i get it now!  a bit slow on the uptake today.  kerstin, thanks, it's fur fabric i need so i can make them into sleeves for bridles for the ones that are used in 3rd world countries - makes it kinder on the horse and involves no additional cost for the horse owner.  i dont think a coat collar would have enough free fabric i could use - thank you though.

if anyone else has any fabric though -- i'd be really grateful to receive it - thanks
laura

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS