Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why wont ewe eat?!  (Read 2403 times)

messyhoose

• Joined Nov 2017
why wont ewe eat?!
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »
hello I am new to posting but have read many old forum threads and the ubiquitous "sheep not eating" topic has now hit me. So she is a 2 year old North Ronaldsay, who was eating hay and chaff and tiny amount concentrates indoors each night but now she is getting shut in over night (weather so so bad) she had gone on hunger strike. On days it is ok-ish I let them out so she will at least get some grass, but while everyone else tucks into dinner and the hay she just stands there looking abject. I haven't caught her pooing to see what its like (cant be much as not evident in the bedding in the morn) she is active and alert, no cough nor discharge, though temperature seemed a little low at 38.1 tonight. And she is tooth grinding if I sit and watch her. She will drink electrolyte with sodium bicarb added voluntarily, and obsesses over the mineral lick- and ive done the penicillin and Vit injections/ drenches, and wormers. But- she will jump up for a Jacobs Cream Cracker. Now everyone else likes a digestive as a treat but no only Crackers for her. I wonder if it is the sodium bicarb or yeast that is in them (also high in iron and thiamine so quite a healthy treat all in all). Im at a loss. Its gales for the next few days so no outdoor grazing for her. Vet (off island so no visits possible) says its prob nothing and just see how she goes, but I cant watch her not eat and do nothing. Ideas...? :'(

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: why wont ewe eat?!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:18 am »
Has this post been delayed or something??

No replies seems unhelpful?? :-(

I hope the ewe has picked up by now?

have you taken her temp?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:23 am »
Tooth grinding indicates there is something wrong.

You seem to have done all the things people might suggest (has she been done for fluke?) and it seems a vet isn't going to be easy, so you can only carrying on as you are and hope she picks up. Keep monitoring her temp. Watch for bloat.  :fc:

Dianasmum

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:16 am »
Hello, :wave:

I too, am new to Forum.  Find your message interesting as I have one Herdwick 7 month old lamb with much the same symptoms.

Lives outside, bought 8 days ago, along with another 5 same age, gender, breed.

On grass, when weather particularly cold given small ration of concentrate.  5 eat it well, one stands back, or walks over to mineral bucket and licks that, she is drinking, sniffs at concentrate, walks away.

She not sufficently brave to walk directly to me yet, the others do, though not hand feeding yet, still very wary of me.

She seems as alert as others, though possibly, unless I am being paranoid, lies down more than others???????????
Not tooth grinding!!

Suggestions????????????   Appreciated,

Thank you for reading my posting.

Hoping that Messyhoose is finding solution.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:48:47 am by Dan »

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:19 pm »
Have you checked her mouth?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
Why do you feel that they need to be inside out of the weather ,sheep have survived for generations out in all weathers ? Are you 100% certain that she was eating the hay chaff and nuts ? Are you sure she is tooth grinding in pain or is she ruminating ? Check her mouth as at 2yr old she maybe loosing / growing new teeth . What is her condition like compared to the others   . If it was mine I'd be thinking she was  a  shy or non feeder of  dry or hard feed  , could you give her  a nut or 2 with the crackers to see if she eats or spits out

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 02:46:57 pm »
North Ronalsay sheep live off seaweed in wild and must have some in their diet.  Also don't really see why she needs to be in...they were bred to live on sea edge of the island so can withstand all weathers.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 03:24:55 pm »
Over heating could be a problem. Sheep give up when something is far from right. I agree diet could be her problem also.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »
My Badger Face Welsh Mountain go slightly barmy if they stay in the same field for more than a fortnight and those that are last to lamb completely so after two weeks or so in the shed. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS