Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rayburn controls  (Read 2386 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Rayburn controls
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:09:59 pm »
After two and a half years I think I have just about mastered our wood burning Rayburn.  When it is in the right mood it can power a dozen radiators.  The rotating dial at the back, numbered 1-8, will alter the rate of burn and therefore presumably the water heating power but what I am not clear about is does this just alter the air supply to the base of the fire or does it have a thermostat which is actually monitoring the temperature of the water in the system?

There is a separate thermostat in the hall because the central heating can also be run on an LPG boiler but when using wood I just put that one high and control the rate of burning in the Rayburn on the principle that if the Rayburn is making heat it might just as well be pumped round the house.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Rayburn controls
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
Hiya,

There is a direct acting (mechanical, capilliary type)  thermostat which has a sensor in the hot water jacket. This then acts to open or close a flap at the bottom LHS of the firebox, to regulate the airflow.

The 1-8 dial on the top regulates the sensitivity of the thermostat, so think of it as entering a setpoint of how hot you want the water to be.

Does that help?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Re: Rayburn controls
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:46:54 pm »
Hiya,

There is a direct acting (mechanical, capilliary type)  thermostat which has a sensor in the hot water jacket. This then acts to open or close a flap at the bottom LHS of the firebox, to regulate the airflow.

The 1-8 dial on the top regulates the sensitivity of the thermostat, so think of it as entering a setpoint of how hot you want the water to be.

Does that help?

yes it does - thanks.  The hot water jacket being where the water pases through the heat exchanger?  I have found it very hard to find a useful diagram of the Rayburn workings and the official manual is pretty rubbish.

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS