Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy boy shedding a lot of hair, is it normal?  (Read 3348 times)

Pickieannie

• Joined Nov 2017
Pygmy boy shedding a lot of hair, is it normal?
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:26 pm »
I have two castrated male boys as pets, Oscar & Theo. Oscar is 9 months old and Theo a month younger. I had been giving them hay & goat mix but stopped the hay in summer due to infestation of hay mites. Presently I'm feeding them Hifi Alfalfa & a small amount of goat mix, (Vet advised me to cut down a bit on mix and I've taken his advice). There's a lick in their house which they don't seem to touch. Oscar has been shedding quite a lot of hair in the last few weeks and I'm wondering if it's normal especially at this time of year. Apart from that they both appear happy healthy boys. They have access to grass although they're only interested in when it's on the ground freshly mowed. Any advice please. 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Pygmy boy shedding a lot of hair, is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:58:26 pm »
If the hair loss is patchy and involves areas of bare skin then I would assume hay mites again or lice. Treat with ivomec pour on, which will worm them as well, or permethrin louse powder.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Pickieannie

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:11:40 pm »
Thank you Landroverroy and Scarlet Dragon,
The hair loss is more shedding, no patches. I'm now wondering, having read several posts here could it be a copper deficiency? Oscar was a white kid when I picked him up in April but since then he has developed a sort of under colour, tanny/honey shade, especially round his ears, on his neck and park of his flanks. I thought it was natural but now wondering.
The mix I give them (in very small quantities) is Dobson & Horrell goat mix, I looked at the bag today and it states "no additional copper added" The lick in their house is Rockie Baby Red which contains copper but they don't appear to use it. Should I have have the vet do a blood test on Oscar or find another method of including minerals in his diet? Sorry so many questions but you are all so knowledgeable and I'm a seven month :goat: novice.     

Pickieannie

• Joined Nov 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:04 am »
I hope I can gain as much goat knowledge in a few years as you have Scarlet! I am very grateful for the time and advice you've given me here.  My boys have been dis budded so no indicator there. The vet seems pretty knowledgeable to me but I'm sure folk here have more hands on experience. I will have a chat with the vet and see what he says. Thanks again Scarlet. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS