Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: itching/molly  (Read 3959 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
itching/molly
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »
two things i would like to ask here please if ye dont mind:
1- my girls seem to be rubbing themselves up against everything they can and also biting as if they are trying to
relief themselves from an itch. i cant see any lice on them, so is there anything else or is it this hot weather and flies?
is anyone else having the same thing going on with their goats.

2- molly, again. she now has a small cut in the pit area of the front leg if this makes sense, what gets me is i have now made sure there is nothing
that can cause molly or milly any harm. all barb wire, sharp pointed things etc have been removed from area to make sure they are ok.
is there allways one in a herd no matter how big or small it is that will have cuts etc all the time.
because we were now thinking of just taking milly to the stud as she seems to be the strongest and the one with less problems.
what are peoples thoughts on this decision?
we love molly and milly does, she will alllways be at our home.
i just cant understand why all the problems are with her ??? we look after her as we do with milly, no favorites here.
thanks langdon :D :goat:
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: itching/molly
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
are they losing their thicker coat still?  ours are  (ie moulting off the winter coat)
and geraldine has terrible dandruff .... but beautiful skin!  just flaky...
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:10 pm »
Do you have midges around????

Also don't know if goats get sweet itch like horses???

Mine do rub themselves a bit when they come outside, but only a few times and then are off feeding and generally messing about... but they love being brushed! And yes, they still loose their wintercoat.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »
Langdon, do you have water (river, stream, whatever) nearby or trees?  These things attract flies and midges.  I have just come in from feeding the animals and its a very hot night. We have plenty trees, and are near a stream (although not much water just now!)  Cain and Abel are out grazing now its cooler, but the midges are out, and they are driving them mad.  They keep lying down, rubbing their head on the wall, shaking themselves, but the horrible midges continue to bite.

I would say thats what is causing your goats to rub, they are trying to get rid of the midges.

One other thought -you have not over washed them have you?  Just the shampoo could be causing them to itch.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:57:28 am »
thanks roxy, havent washed them since april/may.
there is trees around the place and alot of flipping flies cos of the dairy farm beside us.
i didnt know goats shed their winter coats( i thought angora goats cos of long hair, but our as you know have short hair, interesting)
langdon :D :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
Can you see any scurf/dandruff in their coat, usually around the neck area?  That is another major cause of itching.  But at this time of year, I would safely say its flies and midges.  Everything is suffering.  If they will lick a small garlic lick like the horses have, that is a help keeping flies away - probably keep you away too, if they smell of garlic!!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:00 am »
what do you think about just keeping her as a pet and not breeding her?
ifr she is not a full healthy goat we dont want to put her under stress with breeding and any bad genetics passed on is well.
again this is with mollys best interest at heart.
we are just dumfound that any problems are all with molly as ye guys know.
and you never guess what??????
brining her to vet on monday!! we were trimming their hoves yesturday and noticed that on mollys hind feet she has awfull excema on feet :(
poor thing. have you ever had to treat this before?
thanks for understanding and help ;) langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:20 pm »
Langdon, the problems you are having with Molly are not things she would pass on to a kid.  If it were undershot jaw, or a dreadful deformity, then I would agree, don't breed. But you have a lovely goat there, and of course you should breed.  She is nearly identical to our Molly goat, and she has given us two lovely kids so far, so go for it!!  You are very caring with your goats, but you must stop worrying, and enjoy them!!

If the goats are ill, of course have them treated, and do general worming, foot trimming, de lousing etc.  but a lot of the things you are finding wrong, such as the itching, are something goats do, and have to put up with.  Oops, did not mean this to come out critical of you, because you are doing everything right, but its not right that you seem to be spending so much time worrying - if you see what I mean.  And for all this to make you consider not breeding from Molly, you must not let it stop your breeding plans!! :D

Re the excema, this is probably due to the winter weather and is still there.  When its muddy and wet, goats can get serious foot problems, but if Molly is not lame, thats not too bad. If she is seeing the vet, let him see it, he will probably give you some spray in a yellow can, its blue, and very good indeed for foot trouble, but only obtainable from a vet, and about a tenner.

Are you seeing the vet with Mollys udder problem?

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 01:44:55 pm »
it has gone down quite a bit still there but yes since im there i will show him.
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:04:40 pm »
thanks roxy for a nice reply ;)
i do enjoy my girls but as you said boy do i worry esp about molly, as you said i just want them to be safe happy and healthy as long
as they are wandering around ere!
will let you know what vet says tommorow.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »
Hi Langdon,

I had the same problem with my goats, especially the old boy.  I read in a couple of places that a small handful of black sunflowers seeds helps their skin because of the oils.  Since I did this a week ago their skin is getting better.

Last year we called the vet out and he took skin scrapings from various parts and found nothing.  However about 2 months later he got mites which I could see with the naked eye.  George was treated with a Frontline wash (very expensive though) but it did the trick.  Luckily Lola and Fleur didn't get them even though they share a stable.

Good luck.   :goat:

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
thanks like the idea of the black sunflower seeds ;)
will deffently give them ago.
langdon :D :goat:
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS