Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sugarbeet/ kwikbeet  (Read 2631 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
sugarbeet/ kwikbeet
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »
are these two foods the same thing but just called different names for some reason( unknown to me if so)
i am feeding the girls kwikbeet, you leave it soak in water for 10 min.
thanks langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: sugarbeet/ kwikbeet
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:41 pm »
For horses sugarbeet pulp has to be soaked for 24hrs before feeding were as speedibeet only needs soaking for 10 mins,but the speedibeet is ok for horses with or prone to lamintis were as the sugarbeet pulp isnt.So there is a difference not only with the price.

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:17 am »
The important thing is what the sugar content is and that will be greater if the beet is molassed. The 'speedy' beets are just shredded finer so that they need only be soaked for a short period before feeding.

Goats, being ruminants, shouldn't really need beet to be soaked.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:01:15 am by AengusOg »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:03:32 pm »
I think because I am a horse owner, and have always soaked sugar beet for horses, I am not comfortable for any of my animals to eat it unsoaked, although I know ruminents can do so safely.  Goats and llama have all helped themselves out of the bag before it was soaked and not come to any harm though!!

Personally, I prefer the sugar beet pellets that soak overnight, and I think the goats do too, although we do use kwikbeet and its so muc quicker obviously!!

The molassed sugar beet pellets will be more fattening, and have more feed value than the kwikbeet. I tend to use the kwikbeet for my native fat ponies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS