Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for a larger coop, ~25 birds  (Read 2706 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Looking for recommendations for a larger coop, ~25 birds
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:35 am »
For the past 3 years we've had 8-10 chickens using a large Green Frog coop, specifically this one http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/chicken-loft-medium/ which has been excellent and very easy to keep clean and free of mites.

However, we're looking to increase the size of our flock, possibly up to 20-25 birds and will be needing a larger coop. I've not found any that size that are made of plastic so I'm wondering what features or designs folks have found that they like, or manufacturers that make good quality houses, personal recommendations are always better I find that just browsing the web.

I'm guessing that being able to actually get inside to clean them is probably helpful as is a metal or plastic dropping board that can be taken out easily.

Thanks.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Looking for recommendations for a larger coop, ~25 birds
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:39:21 pm »
I would upgrade to a garden shed personally, a wood 6x3 without windows is probably less expensive than what you have now, or you can get metal/plastic versions tho I don't know a brand to recommend for the latter.

Benefit is you can walk in to clean/collect/repair and an old ladder or some kind of rack would make basic perching, while nestboxes could be cardboard boxes or a square of wood nailed together and a bit of bedding in..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:54:57 pm »
I just bought a small coop from www.chickencoopsdirect.com .  It is well constructed of good solid timber and well thought out.  I don't think they do one to fit the number of hens you intend to have, but you could buy two for what you spent on your existing coop.   It's fairly easy to get inside to use the flame thrower against red mite, but if there's a problem then it's just 8 screws to take the roof off for full access. There's no roofing felt or similar for mites to hide under and there is a poop tray.     I think they have a sale on at the moment.

We have previously used a converted garden shed - 8'x6' - with a pop hole, nest boxes and a perch added.  That would certainly house the numbers you want, and again I think it wouldn't cost more than your current house.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:51:14 pm »
I got a cheap-as-chips 6 x 3 plastic shed on eBay a couple of years ago.  It was a bit fiddly to put together but has lasted well.  We placed it against walls on two sides but it's so light we had to build a "wall" of breeze blocks 3 high on one side to keep it steady in the Autumn gales and if a gale over Force 8 is expected we put a couple of blocks inside too.  We refer to it as the Jelly Shed as it wobbles about a lot ....

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »
Get a second frog / eglu or similar? I love my Omlet coops, nothing better.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:25 pm »
We've got an 8x6 shed that we have kitted out for the hens. Currently have 23 in there with space on the perches for more, plenty of room to jump down as well, and of course space for the nest boxes. It's really easy to clean out too because you can actually get in and stand up. I have a few smaller coops for broody hens, quarantine and younger chicks/hens not yet ready to join the main flock, I much prefer the shed for cleaning out. I can do a much better job in less time.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:09:04 am »
Get a second frog / eglu or similar? I love my Omlet coops, nothing better.

I'd need two more for the number of birds and that's just not cost effective any more.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:27:07 am »
Thanks, I'll take a look at those options. I'd not thought of converting a shed so that may be a good way to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS