Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Late castrated Pygmy wether too big for his boots - help!  (Read 3037 times)

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
Late castrated Pygmy wether too big for his boots - help!
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:07 am »
We originally had 2 Pygmy goats (a billy and a doe) with the intention of breeding them. She had 2 kids in January  and we decided we would keep all 4, the intention being for the billy to be castrated and reintroduced to the doe and her kids. I had both the father and the billy kid castrated (the father would have been around 2 years old) and we have managed to get them living together harmoniously during the day in the field and field shelter. At night time I've had to keep them separated by the partition as when they are shut in the shed he attacks the female kid without any warning  :(

He is very much more mellow than before his castration but still trys to get the upper hand with us humans.

I don't know what to do next! The kids are well grown and muscling up, would it be expected to get better once they are adult? He is small in size but has a great set of horns and a big attitude. Maybe I was expecting the unachievable but they are pets and I'm attached to them all. I want them all to be happy but I'm wondering if it's possible. He's broken through the partition overnight last week and I'm worried about the safety of the kids :( they are all horned by the way.

Is it worth getting a new shed so it's neutral territory? Does anyone think there is hope for them to live happily long term?

I really don't want to have to rehome him, I would find it upsetting  but wondering if he would be better with others that were bigger or less submissive?

Aargh! Any advice welcome please!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Late castrated Pygmy wether too big for his boots - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »
Keep him partitioned at night , may settle down in time
I use some strong , long heavy duty pallets for partitions in such cases#
8 - 10 FT long cut to size even full grown boer bucks are contained  ;)

Last ones i bought were ott  takes two people to lift one pallet, were used to import granite worktops
if i can get enough going to build field shelter out of them wind will never move it
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:49:22 pm by mart6 »

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:43 pm »
Thanks for your replies. Sorry yes I missed out a lot of info! It's the adult male who is being aggressive, and he is only doing it to the female kid. Both the adult male and the male kid were castrated in early March. They were surgically castrated by a good goat vet, a couple of months after the adult stopped all hormonal rutting type behaviour such as peeing on himself and trying to mount the adult female so I'm confident the castration worked.

I've tried flipping him on his side and that worked for a while. Will try the other suggestions thanks!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:06:24 am »
I wouldn't have your patience .... He would be in freezer by now!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:47:47 am »

:roflanim: I don't think he'd taste very good!

I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust him with the others overnight, I've got a camera in there but I can't watch them all the time. Plus it means they can't go into the shed during the day, only a little shelter. We are  leaning towards trying to find him a new home so long as it's the right one. Looking on preloved there are a couple semi local who might fit the bill.

Zoobec

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »

:roflanim: I don't think he'd taste very good!

I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust him with the others overnight, I've got a camera in there but I can't watch them all the time. Plus it means they can't go into the shed during the day, only a little shelter. We are  leaning towards trying to find him a new home so long as it's the right one. Looking on preloved there are a couple semi local who might fit the bill.

Rehoming him is just passing the problem on to someone else...  make sure it's someone experienced who knows what they're taking on otherwise there's a possibility that another animal or person could be badly hurt.  Fingers crossed it works out for all concerned.

I definitely don't want to be passing on a problem, I'm trying to solve it . He does get on well with other goats, just not my girl kid. For some reason he has it in for her. She's so timid he just takes advantage of it. I've been completely honest about him and anyone taking him on will be fully aware of what he is like. I wouldn't let him go to anyone who isn't experienced,  he needs to be with other goats that are not really shy and submissive. I'm trying to do what's best for him, and my other goats. He's never actually injured anyone or any goat or animal. I think he just needs other goats that will stand their ground with him not hide away from him.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:45:24 pm by Zoobec »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS