Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blasted fireworks.  (Read 5675 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Blasted fireworks.
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:38 pm »

Our little bit of Aberdeenshire is peaceful, normally as most of us are keeprs of livestock and guardians of the  natural way of life, however the one neighbour a “ townie “ that has no animals or comprehension of country living decides to have a firework session. It's a clear moonlit light, the moon looks fantastic , with hardly a breath of wind the conversations of people some distance away can clearly be heard the sound carries well.
I am just feeding the pigs when all hell breaks loose as rockets , bangers ( an understatement ) and other pyrotechnics are set off , the dogs bark a bit, the goats , used to my diy antics remain nonplussed , but the pigs are alarmed at the aerial explosions seemingly above them but watch and tolerate the percussive sounds.
That is until fireworks are let off that head skywards with a scream, this alarms the pigs to the extent that they panic and barge the electric fence getting shocked into the bargain.
And so I'm in the pig ark with two very frightened  pigs sharing bananas in an effort to calm them.
I'm cross , very cross , but I will bide my time.  :innocent:

Ps Its frosy out  , ark nice and cosy, warmer than the house !   :pig:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Blasted fireworks.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:07 am »
Some people have no common sense. The fact that animals can be scared of fireworks is well publicised every year but there are always the idiots who either don't understand or don't care. My goats belt into their shed whenever there is a bang. By the time firework season finishes (what happened to firework night?) they will be used to them Then nothing until New Year so they forget and can be scared all over again.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:41:54 am »
At this time of year I am thankful that we are surrounded by shoots, all the animals are well used to bangs and blasts along with whistles and snappy flags.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:05:53 am »
Glad everyone was ok [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:20:00 pm »
Glad everyone was ok [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] :hug:
Unfortunately  not , more explosions around midnight and more of the "screaming" rockets , this morning found part of the front of the ark's woodwork demolished, looks like a 2 pigs 1 hole episode during the night, both girls quiet and off food , just mooching around when doing the repairs ,not even "helping" . Even when Mrs RTB and I brought over the trailer ready for their mystery tour in a couple of weeks they just stayed in bed .
Probably take a few days to recover, I hope .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:45:07 pm »
 :rant:

:hug: :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 09:37:57 pm »
Two horses, five dogs here, none of them seem to mind fireworks. Weird.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 10:39:42 pm »
Amazingly, although there were a lot of fireworks went off early this evening, they didn't last too long and the girls were fine when I went out to them afterwards. They even met me at the gate as usual. The dog barked at the once nearest us but I don't think he was scared - more interested. He's my OH's guide dog and there have been guide dogs who've had to retire due to fireworks, even though during training they are exposed to all sorts of noises.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:15 am »
Hmm, it works both ways,  It is well publicised that bonfire night occurs around this time of year every year, and has done for centuries. It could be said its common sense to keep any flightly animals fastened up during the hours of darkness over the bonfire weekend if you live near others. This is because there might always be some inconsiderate person who lets off big fire works without giving you fair warning.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »
Hmm, it works both ways,  It is well publicised that bonfire night occurs around this time of year every year, and has done for centuries. It could be said its common sense to keep any flightly animals fastened up during the hours of darkness over the bonfire weekend if you live near others. This is because there might always be some inconsiderate person who lets off big fire works without giving you fair warning.

I take your point and if it was only bonfire night when fireworks were let off it would help but in our village bonfire night is not a problem. Small scale fireworks let off by locals aware of the animals around about. It is the rest of the year when you have no idea who is going to let off fireworks and today's fireworks can be excessive in noise and light. Holiday lets are a particular problem.

Perhaps people might be more careful if they knew and there were convictions -  " the current penalties you can receive for causing unnecessary suffering to animals with fireworks under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. Those convicted face a fine of up to £20,000 or up to 51 weeks in prison."
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:12:06 pm by harmony »

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
My lot were unsettled but generally they're used to shoots by this point in the year and just go stand at the top of the hill, other than an odd youngster who still races about a while.  And at least this year with it being 5th on the weekend there are just 3 nights of main problems where if it's midweek you get them for 10 days unpredictably..

There was a horse found loose on the A914 on Sunday morning by someone going out for a run - had clearly bolted and gone over or through a fence so even tho it interrupts Strictly I am always out every wee while to just keep an eye in case..

Hopefully that'll be it until Hogmanay now.. fingers crossed!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »
We have a person not far from us who has a firework party every year at this time. My ponies all come inside and Dolly the wee cob has to have a calmer. they start their fireworks around 9.30pm and in the past I have still been in the stable barn till 2am trying to calm everyone. All their firewoks come our way, not onto their own paddock. I worry every year that my hay and straw will go on fire. these people have no animals but are surrounded by farm land with sheep and cattle. I believe all fireworks should be held by the council at a proper event. For the past few weeks in Banff lads have been throwing them at cars and other kids.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:42 pm »

I see what you are saying and yes like Christmas ,New year and  bonfire night happens every year on roughly the same date ,well, in the " old days ". Now it seems the Christmas ,New year and  bonfire night season lasts many weeks. Its the lack of consideration by a very small minority , especially in a rural area that grinds with me . Although I love my Piggies dearly and will share the ark with them, there is no way I am fastening up the girls during the hours of darkness over the weekend, after all they have never experienced this sort of thing ( and never will again !! ) They are back eating again anyway ....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:09 pm »

So what are you supposed to do with your sheep then?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 09:13:36 pm »
Amazingly, although there were a lot of fireworks went off early this evening, they didn't last too long and the girls were fine when I went out to them afterwards. They even met me at the gate as usual. The dog barked at the once nearest us but I don't think he was scared - more interested. He's my OH's guide dog and there have been guide dogs who've had to retire due to fireworks, even though during training they are exposed to all sorts of noises.

I spoke too soon. It started up again around midnight.  :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS