Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wellington boots- Recomendations pls  (Read 4077 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Wellington boots- Recomendations pls
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
Could other members tell me what wellies the prefer? They need to be lightweight, have a very good grip/tread and the cheaper the better.

I'm on clay soil here and its quite hilly so the top surface of mud/grass can be very slippy. I have a pair of Dunlop Purfort that are nice and lightweight, but the grip isn't enough if its been raining. I also have a pair of JCB wellies with excellent grip but their heavy, with the mud caked on them it feels a bit like a couple of lead weights attached to your feet after an hour or so.

Recomendations pls

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Wellington boots- Recomendations pls
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:26 pm »
Bear in mind that any boots, whether they are lightweight or not, will gather clay and get heavy if they have a decent tread. I would imagine that the weight of boot is pretty insignificant compared to the weight of clay that a decent tread can collect. So a lightweight boot with good tread will still end up heavy when it's gathered clay.
I personally find heavier boots much better all round - they have thicker soles which are warmer in winter and have a better grip, and they tend to last longer.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »
Dunlop Purofort is about the best grip around - but are you talking a new pair or one that’s been around for a while?  They do wear thinner over time...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:18:52 pm »
Bekina Steplite X is the best grip around IMHO.  And they are light. Safety and non-safety versions - get the safety version.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:52:47 am »
I use Amblers safety wellingtons as they are light - for a safety welly. They last me about 6 months but I wear them all the time if working outside. I've found that if you drop something sharp on the toe then the rubber? splits and lets water in. They can sometimes split along where the steel toe part meets the rest of the foot. I like them because they fit me nicely in the foot and are longer in the leg than some also they are narrow around the calf. The best thing is the price - for my last pair I paid £14.18 from ebay - the shop was www.ruby-group.co.uk at the time the postage was free. I don't know how they would cope with clay soil but I reckon they are cheap enough to give them a go!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
I did have dunlop puroforts, but they kept splitting at the back, nice comfy wellies tho. Instead i went with Bekina, very good grip, very comfortable and last a long time :) PLus they are cheaper than puroforts ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:36 pm »
Bekina steplite x excellent tread depth and hard wearing, warm in winter  and light plus good side wall  strength

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
Im a softie Im a aigle parcours girl I need the neoprene and cushion otherwise my feet get sore and tired.  They last about 2-3yrs so not too expensive. I do find them slippery though. Ive read a lot of people like the Bekina's and may get a pair with steel toes as working with cows its a better idea. Husband has the Dunlop Purofort.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 11:45:53 am »
When I thought about it I must of had the Dunlop Purofort's for at least 4yrs, which is probably why their a bit slippy now the tread has worn, I still wear them over the summer. I must of gone through 5 pairs of the JCB wellies in that time, they tend to split after 6 months.

So I opted for another pair of Purofort, they seemed to be the same price as Bekina (£50) and if they last as long I'll be very happy!

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 07:46:57 pm »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 06:53:10 pm »
never walk with your feet pointing straight down at hill

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS