Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introduction and my story  (Read 2280 times)

sheepyhollow87

• Joined Oct 2017
introduction and my story
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:35:38 am »
hello all  :wave:

just getting to grips with this website , little confusing but im sure i will get the hang of it !

let me introduce myself, i moved to north somerset from London 2 years ago , living by the channel so sea views in the morning is beautiful. very friendly community - (people actually talk to each other and say good morning)

I have 8 pet sheep, all have names and different characters , mixed herd - first time of owning sheep.
They keep me on my toes , typically if they not trying to escape they are trying to kill them selves  :-\ lol

looking to invest in a Shetland to live with them , my sheep are very demanding and bucket trained.
They have once escaped from my field into next doors 300 - let me tell you i was not happy lol
Thank god they are bucket trained , let me paint the picture ........

300 beautiful looking sheep - like fluffy clouds all scattered over a lush green field, until at the corner of you eye in the back ground you see 8 tatty dirty looking sheep , that would be mine !!! thinking OMG how the hell am i going to get them back ? well they spotted me from a distance and start calling baaaaaaaa !
so there i am calling them back shaking the bucket calling BABIES !!
at this point they are running towards me in what looks like slow motion - it reminded me of a 80/90s pop boy band video ... suddenly appearing from smoke and a crowd.
well i managed to walk them back into their field without trying to inherit some extras lol
im so glad i bucket trained them.

So that is my story and look forward to this website and speaking to you all , and learning much more.

xxxx

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: introduction and my story
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:11 am »
Lucky the 300 were not bucket trained

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:41:21 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS  :wave:  from misty Scotland.

Mmm yes - "good fences make good neighbours".  Find out where they escaped and block it off.  Check the rest of your fences for any gaps at all and deal with them.  Whilst your tale is funny it is also a problem as there are such things as movement rules, standstills and disease prevention strategies, which your neighbour will wish to maintain, so you need to keep your flock separate. 
You will love your Shetland, but once you have her you will absolutely have to learn to spin :spin: :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sheepyhollow87

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
Thank you all fences were fixed and since no problems it was a hole in the hedging that they got through it's no more that 2-3feet deep bushes luckily they have now moved next doors sheep so the calling between them had soon stopped. They haven't bothered since.
 I brought a spinning wheel and looking forward to spinning.

Many thanks
Xx

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:44:06 pm »
sheepyhollow, you gave me a much needed laugh. Glad you sorted out the barriers because they would no doubt be using the escape route again. Good luck with your  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  and the shetland that you are getting. Enjoy the spinning   :spin: . It's very addictive.

wayland

• Joined Sep 2017
  • Co Wexford
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
Hi Sheepyhollow. In my experience sheep are good at two things. Escaping and dyeing. Good Luck. 
Kindred of Star Stone and Greenwood Tree.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:51 pm »
Hi Sheepyhollow. In my experience sheep are good at two things. Escaping and dyeing. Good Luck.

If you mean dying, then most sheep die when they get slaughtered.  Some die when their humans fail to recognise that they have a problem, and some die of old age (here anyway  :D ).  Whichever way they do it, sheep only die once, like every other creature on Earth.
If you mean dyeing - well that's the fun bit and goes hand in hand with the spinning and knitting  :spin: :knit:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:58:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS