Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water cisterns - what should I do?  (Read 1906 times)

TJHutchison

• Joined May 2017
Water cisterns - what should I do?
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »
Hello all,

This isn't necessarily small holder related so admin feel free to delete if needed.  I have a huge cistern running the length of my property (approx 25m) under the foundations and runs under my house and attached barn and garage,  It is fed by rainpipes I 'think' but at least one part was fed at some time by an outside toilet that was taken out of commission by previous owners about 10 - 15 years ago - and still full,  It has 4 access points alongside the house and I am very aware of damp which we do suffer from tremendously, but should I try and save at least a part of it for free water (after draining to elimate potential human waste of course)?  I feel like cutting my loses just because of the hassle but it would be wonderful in the summer months to carry on the sprayers for the fruit and vegetables without feeling guilty about the amount of water!

Thanks!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Water cisterns - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
It sounds intriguing - go with your health concerns. You might be able to save part or all or a bit of it, dunno.

I wouldnt spend more money on it trying to rectify the conditions in the property if it was cheaper to buy collection tanks for the garden.

Certainly worth looking at though, some of these old things stand the test of time, but sometimes time catches up.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Water cisterns - what should I do?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:15 am »
My Aunt Gin used to have the normal 12x8 x 10 foot brick built septic tank as her garden watering first call point after the village moved on to communal sewage set up back in the 1960's . Uncle Jack would drop a rigid lift hose hose into it & switch on the lift pump to fill two 45 gallon tapped barrels set 3 foot off the ground situated in the middle of the garden.

She just had it pumped out for human waste & had the rain water diverted into it . Any excess went out via the soak away the first half filled tank got 30 litres of sodium hypochlorite bleach ( dairy equipment sterilizer ) dropped into it & was left to fill on it's own . 

Come the late November when it had been running full for a couple of months it was pumped out to the bottom & left to refill on its own with winter rains . It was then used next summertime .

Aunt  Gin reckoned it saved them a lot of money long term .
 Jack set up a sprinkler system driven via his lift pump he never managed to run the tank dry

Just one further comment ... if there are cast iron inspection /access lids make sure they are sound .  Her hubby's brother my Uncle Frank walked over one that was well rusted through on the underside & it gave way,  leaving him to try and climb out of the hole up the set in the wall rungs with a broken leg . They found him when he didn't turn up for lunch a couple of hours later .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS