Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe not comming into cycle  (Read 2416 times)

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
ewe not comming into cycle
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:40 pm »
My rams have been in with their girls for 30 days now and they have had raddle markers on since going in
yet 3 girls with one ram one of which has had lambs for the last 3 years and the other two are 2 years old first time with ram seem not to have cycled and have no marks on them.
whilst in the other field the same has occurred but with two ewes who also had lambs last year from this ram
I cant decide if they haven't cycled which seems unlikely haven't been marked again unlikely or just don't like the ram

Any advise would be appreciated

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: ewe not comming into cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:44:48 pm »
If this is the same time of year as last year and the rams should have brought them into heat by now then  either already served by a sneaky ram or something is wrong with either the harness or the crayon .  Crayons can get lost or damaged , have you got the right one for the temperature  often can be soft/medium or hard .   Try swapping the rams to spark interest . Have you not seen the rams showing interest  or jumping ?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »
Has the Ram's swerved other sheep in with those sheep? I'm not sure if your saying that one ram is in with some sheep and hasn't served any??

How many sheep are the rams in with? I had my rams in for 60 days last year and pretty much on the last day it could of been one of my first timers (2yrs) lambed. She was in with 30 ewes and 2 rams and was either very late or was missed.

Some years when the fleece is wet the raddle harness and crayon makes no mark, I gave up on them this year for that reason.

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »
each ram is in with 20 girls all others have been marked by the crayons except the ones mentioned above unfortunately I cant change rams as one is the father to the ones in with the other ram hope that makes sense

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »
Might they already have been covered by an ambitious ram with high jump abilities?  Otherwise could be too much condition, a low-grade infection or that they were cycling on a day a lot of others were and he simply didn't have time to get round to them.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:56:21 pm »
Ah now makes a bit more sense  , maybe still damaged / lost crayon or they may have been served  very quickly and have a very light or small mark or the ram may have been busy and they may not have been pushy enough especially first timers or the odd one may not be cycling at all , time will tell !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS